Tivo Mini Component Cable Maping

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by johneh1957, Oct 26, 2017.

1. johneh1957

johneh1957 New Member

Oct 26, 2017

Advertisements

Both the AV and component have 3 rca outputs and a single 4-section plug on the other end. I have found that the av cables vary by mfg. But I got it to work. I want to use the same type cable to get a RGB component video signal. Can anyone tell me the maping of the single plug to the RGB? I know that the common is usually the lowest section closest to the plug/cord. so for instance the r is at the tip, then g then b or such. Thanks.

2. johneh1957

johneh1957 New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    the rgb for the single component jack (green) on the mini.. I am using a generic one and do not know how the rgb maps.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you reviewed the above links?

edit: scratch what was here. If you have one cable working, then you should be able to get the info needed from he above links.

4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

It is written poorly, but I think he meant he got this type of cable to work in a different application, but now he wants to try a generic AV cable with Yellow/White/Red on the Mini and wants to know which color corresponds the the R G B colored connections.

First I would force the video output on the mini to something like 720p. Then the quick way is to connect each end of your pig-tail to the green connector. The one that gives you a black and white picture is the one meant for the green connector (it changes, but my first guess at the green connector would be the yellow connector). Then plug the other two in. If the colors are messed up, reverse them.

CIR-Engineering likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So you didn't check the links, either?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You can lead a horse, but .....

krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My interpretation was that they were able to get the same generic cable working for the Mini composite A/V port, but are now asking about the mappings for the component port. The above links provide the mappings.

8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I did, but I only trust the same manufacturer to keep the same pinout ordering. For generic/unknown cables, I prefer to just test them out presuming yellow corresponds to green(Y), then the other two become obvious. If yellow doesn't give you black and white then you know something is up with the cable. I recall some Apple cables changed the ordering on their breakout cables and I'm sure there are others since this area isn't standardized. The OP may mean same exact cable or same type of cable, which aren't necessarily the same thing. If the cables were exactly the same cable, then yes, even if the mappings are off, you should be able to figure the new mappings based on the table, because both cables are consistently off. Worse case there are 6 combinations to try.

Understanding TRRS and Audio Jacks - Cable Chick Blog

pinout.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  9. johneh1957

johneh1957 New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Thanks for the link which shows mapping. My set up is awkward and still isn’t working the way I want. All other equipment is circa 2003 and pre hdmi. Pioneer elite av receiver with rgb in / out. Jvc projector w rgb in. When I hooked up using hdmi out on mini and hdmi converter to rgb +l&r, the projector(mini??) didn’t like the signal and kept switching between 16:9 and 4:3 and resetting. I may try a different converter later but my main issue is getting or say striping out and getting digital audio and not just l&r. Have not found hdmi in with rgb out and toslink/sprig audio out. Ideas?

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Replace the Mini with a Mini VOX, that includes optical digital audio output (sacrificing analog outputs)?

11. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Mikeguy likes this.