1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO Mini Can't Connect to my TIVO Box in livingroom.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by armyrctr0, May 13, 2018.

1. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I just recently moved into a new house and had to re-do my TIVO setup and now the Mini can't recognize the Main TiVO (Series 5 Roamio with a TIVO bridge). I set the bridge up the same way I did at my other place; but there is a different modem, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. My old modem did not have a "MoCA" light on it, but this new one, the Ariss Touchstone TG 2472 does, even though it's not on. So I set up a bridge with the modem, and a bridge at the TIVO also. I used a POE filter inside the house, because now there is one line coming in for internet and cable, instead of two separate lines (I don't know if this also made a difference), and used a splitter rated 5-2500 Mhz to go to the modem/bridge and the TIVO/bridge. When I turned everything on, the TIVO is running and it's using the "ethernet" connection so I thought it was good. When I went into the back room to plug in the Mini, it gives me an error saying it can't find the living room TIVO, check the connections and ensure they are connected. Can anyone help me out?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Likely, yes, but more info would be helpful.

How many tuners in your Roamio, 4 or 6?

Are you tuning OTA antenna or digital cable (w CableCARD) with the Roamio?

Do you have a separate cable modem & router, or are you using a combo modem/router (aka gateway)?

Who is your cable provider?

Do you know where all your coax runs centrally connect, and do you have access to this location?

Can you provide more details on how the devices, rooms and incoming signal(s) interconnect? Where, precisely, you installed the “PoE” MoCA filter? A diagram, however rough, can be immensely helpful. (see attached for example diagrams, for inspiration)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  3. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    20180514_163833.jpg H rtaImage (1).png rtaImage.png 20180514_163833.jpg imagejpeg_1_1526324642148.jpg 20180514_165242.jpg rtaImage (1).png rtaImage.png 20180514_163833.jpg imagejpeg_1_1526324642148.jpg 20180514_165242.jpg ey thanks. I'm at work now but I had my son take pictures of the outside configuration and it's attached. It's the four tuner Roamio with cable card and the provider is Fidelity Communications. It's a seperate modem and router although the modem is capable of both, but I have my own router so opted not to have it activated. As you can see there are two lines coming in from outside. But there's one line coming in from where my cable and internet are. I drew a pic and also set my bridges up the way they are in the TIVO instructions (diagram attached)

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The supplied TiVo Bridge connection diagrams are correct for each setup, assuming the Roamio OTA is in a different room from the modem & router. Is it?

If the Roamio OTA and modem/router are in the same room, the Roamio OTA can just be connected directly to the router via Ethernet, and you'd only need a single MoCA adapter to establish the MoCA network (to provide the Mini with its wired network connection).

Forgetting the Mini for a moment...

Is the Roamio able to connect to the Internet in this current setup?

And with everything powered-up and the Roamio "working," can you report the state of the status lights on the TiVo Bridge MoCA adapters at each location? And the status of the MoCA light on the TG2472 gateway?

Assuming the Roamio is able to connect to the Internet, this would mean that the two MoCA adapters are communicating ... MoCA is working ... so it's just the Mini that can't connect to the MoCA network. The cause would likely be one of the following...
    • The "PoE" MoCA filter was installed in the wrong location, blocking the MoCA signals from reaching the Mini. (My guess.)
    • The Mini's coax outlet isn't connected back to the same coax plant as the Roamio, modem and MoCA adapters.

From my interpretation of the outside pics you'd posted, it looks like your incoming cable line enters a cable junction box on the side of the house, out of which two coax runs exit. These two coax lines are then "F" barrel-connected to coax runs into the house that appear to have been previously connected to a satellite setup.

See this annotated pic:

outside wiring annotated.png

If my interpretation is correct, your main splitter is inside the cable junction box, and your "PoE" MoCA filter needs to be installed on the input of this splitter inside the junction box. The outputs of this splitter, via the "F" barrel connection loops stapled to the eaves, are likely running to the Mini location and the coax line that you've been working with. Moving the "PoE" MoCA filter to the correct location inside the cable box may get you going, but no guarantees until you've opened the cable junction box and confirmed the connections and the connecting component.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  5. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    The Roamio can connect, but it's in the same room. I did not know I could connect it directly into the ethernet cable and get rid of that bridge. So if I do that, do I keep the bridge at the modem/router? Also, all the lights are on on the bridges and the modem (except the MoCA light). Here ethernet.jpeg modem.jpeg test.jpeg are pictures of my connection showing that it's an ethernet connection at the Roamio and a picture showing the lights on the modem. It looks like the MoCA light is on, but it's not.

6. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I am also wondering if I connect the Roamio directly into the router via ethernet, I know I can undo the bridge coax but do I undo the coax going from the splitter into the back of the Roamio also?

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, the Roamio can definitely be directly connected to the router LAN.
    1. Direct-connect the Roamio via Ethernet to a LAN port on the router.

2. You now only need one MoCA adapter. Remove one MoCA adapter and its associated splitter (and connecting coax); which adapter you choose to keep is up to you, and you can adjust the connections later if needed.

The MoCA adapter that remains must be connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on the router.

The Roamio, modem and remaining MoCA adapter should all be connected to your coax plant. (A 3-way splitter could be used to connect them all to a single coax wall outlet -- your choice of a balanced or unbalanced 3-way.)

3. Most importantly, remove the "PoE" MoCA filter from the inside-the-room location. It needs to be installed in the outside cable junction box (unless my previous interpretation is wrong), as previously detailed, above.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Roamio needs a coax connection to the incoming cable line for its cable TV signal.

You'll be able to downsize the splitter configuration and associated coax connections, but the Roamio, modem and remaining MoCA adapter will all still need to connect to your coax plant -- as will the Mini, at its remote location.

----
    edit: p.s. Your setup should be similar to the following diagram, though with just a single Mini and so elimination of the associated secondary 4-way splitter. The standalone switch is optional, and, of course, the combo modem/router would need to be separated into distinct devices.

Simple Cable-MoCA network v1.png
    More specifically...

armyctr0-specific.png

9. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Thanks. I'll give it a try

10. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I hooked up the filter in three different spots. I tried both sides of the two way splitter and on the "in" part of the four way splitter. None of it worked. 20180515_191712.jpg 20180515_191653.jpg

11. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    One of the two way cables splits to the four way and the other goes to one of the cables under the eave.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First, the DLPS-15D is a surge suppressor device, so the incoming cable connection should be feeding into that device first, then from there to the 3-way splitter.

http://www.cableinnovations.com/index_htm_files/Catalog - DLPS-15d 15DP.pdf

and

http://www.cableinnovations.com/index_htm_files/DLPS-15D Install single page FEB 2013.pdf

This is a dual directional protector, so either connector can be the service port and the other connector would be the customer port.
    It is very important that the DLPS-15D is connected to a very good ground system preferably the power service grounding electrode system. The ground wire should be at least #12 copper. The grounding conductor should be run to the grounding electrode (rod) in as straight a line as possible. If bends are needed make the bend radius not less than 4”. Insert the wire under the grounding screw of the unit, and make sure that the wire is tightly secured under the screw.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    A wider-angle picture of those components and the connecting cables would be handy.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What "two way splitter"? Are you referring to the DLPS-15D as a two way splitter?

If so, are you sure that one of the coax runs from the DLPS-15D is going to the eaves ... and not over to the PVC pipe coming-up from the ground? (i.e. the incoming cable feed)

15. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I'll check again but I'm pretty sure it's going up. I had to cut the zip ties so I have to go pick some up before it starts raining. I'll check again when I'm back.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ah, zooming way in, it does appear that there may be 3 coax lines heading up to the eaves...

upload_2018-5-15_19-49-20.png

... but the pics don't have the clarity or the context needed for me to trace where they're going. (At least this explains why there's a 3-way splitter inside the box.)

I'd start by tracing where the lone coax cable coming from the PVC pipe is feeding within the cable junction box ... I'm expecting this to be the incoming cable provider feed ... and then go from there. Just be sure to make note of the specific ports to which each coax run/cable connects.

(Though, alas, it sounds like we may have a rain delay.)

17. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I'm sorry you're right. The other goes into a PVC pipe going into the ground

18. armyrctr0

armyrctr0 Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Pretty uch. complete.jpeg complete1.jpeg complete2.jpeg I traced the lines. One of them goes from the two way into the four way splitter, that's the one I put the POE on in the last picture. Two of them go into the circular connection under the eave before going inside, and then the last one isn't included in that loop, it goes directly into the house in the hole under the eave.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So this should be the setup, then...

armyctr0-specific.png
    Though ...
    • You may need to verify the cable run destinations to confirm connectivity at the Mini location. One solution, when you can afford the Internet outage, is to connect the modem to a given coax wall outlet, and then connect only a single coax at a time to the incoming cable feed in the junction box until the modem is able to sync, indicating you've found the associated coax line to the room.

• You'd probably want to use unbalanced 3-way splitters to direct the strongest possible signal to the DVR and/or modem.

• You may also want/need to upgrade both splitters to known-good MoCA 2.0 splitters; Holland's GHS-PRO-M series are recommended. (see here)

• It's possible that you'd want to upgrade the "F" barrel connectors to 3 GHz models. (Something to keep in mind if MoCA just can't be made to work. See here.)

• The "PoE" MoCA filter needs to be installed on the input of the splitter in the junction box.

• One port on the surge suppressor is where the incoming cable feed connects, and the other port should connect to the input of the splitter (so to the "PoE" MoCA filter, which is installed on the splitter's input).

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Those sound and look correct, though it remains a mystery as to which of the three cables entering the hole/house is running to the modem/Roamio location, which to the Mini, and where the third coax run is destined.

The MoCA-compatibility of the splitters and barrel connectors is also an unknown.

That said, the outside connections at least sound/look correct, now. Have you reconnected the modem, Roamio and MoCA adapters per above, and verified that the Roamio remains functional, now direct-connected via Ethernet to the router? And can the Roamio still tune TV content after all the shenanigans in the outside junction box?

And the only "PoE" MoCA filter in the setup is now installed on the input of the splitter in the cable junction box?

If the Roamio is fully functional, then it's time to try the Mini again.