TiVo Mini and RE650 TP-Link Wireless Extender

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by HKoytch, Sep 17, 2018.

1. HKoytch

HKoytch Loving TiVo

Oct 13, 2014
    Maryland

Advertisements

I have my mini connected to the Ethernet port on my TP-LINK RE650. I'm connecting it to a DLINK DIR-868 Router and the signals are strong on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Whenever I try to use my ROAMIO PRO (6-tuners) and advance by 30 seconds, I frequently lose the network connection (TiVo thinks so). Has anyone got any suggestions? It seems like a buffering problem. My iPhone can connect through the RE650 and pull down over 100MBps.

I've tried static IPs for the TiVO Mini.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So Ethernet and MoCA just aren't possible?

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you tried configuring the RE650 as a wireless bridge, to act simply as the Mini's wireless adapter, rather than as a wireless extender?

The "Use Your Extender as a Wireless Adapter" section of the manual (section 4.1) seems to fit the bill, but is pretty brief. (manual)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. Mgalin

Mgalin Member

Jan 6, 2002
    I'm using Media bridges myself - until I get around to dropping ethernet in my walls (No coax) - the Tivo Mini's are VERY VERY un-resilient to wireless hiccups. e.g. kids started wacking wireless (silly musically apps) - mini will die. They simply just don't 'try' many times before giving up. I tried Ethernet over Power gear also, same results. Run coax or ethernet... trust me. you'll be unhappy with wireless.

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

I would try the suggested media bridge setting and then see if you can select which band you use to connect to the router....try both and test for issues, if you are getting a strong signal on both, I think you "should" do better on the 5GHz band.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Turn off the 2.4GHz channel on the RE650. Are you using the internal wireless of the Roamio? Have your iPhone go directly to your router. As was posted, use the RE650 as a wireless adapter only, not as an extender.

As with most extenders, there's no option to "use only as a wireless bridge". Just don't allow a device to use the SSID of the bridge.

A Mini needs only 20Mbps at the most. The wireless of a Roamio is not very good.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So for the RE650 they'd need to ...
    • Disable whichever wireless band is not in use.
    • Use the main base station's SSID for connecting the RE650
    • Change the "extended" SSID to differ from the main SSID
    • Optionally(?) block wireless connections to the RE650 via access controls

What about the DHCP server in the RE650? This option (along with the customization hassles and that the RE650's features are mostly disabled) really makes me wonder if the RE650 is appropriate for use as a simple wireless adapter.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't know. Just between you & me, I see too many problems with tp-link. The router looks good. I only jumped in when I saw RE650 and thought it was the RE-6500, which I find very reliable. BTW, there is an option to not display the SSID, so that part is easy. My money is on the Roamio using its internal wireless since the failure seems to happen when using FF on the Mini.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, should probably get an answer on how the Roamio Pro is networked, and clarification on exactly what was meant by the following:

I don’t see why they’d ever lose the network connection if skipping ahead for content stored locally on the Pro.

For now it goes on the back burner until the OP revisits the thread.