Tivo menu weirdness...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by neurocutie, Apr 22, 2016.

1. neurocutie

neurocutie New Member

Mar 13, 2016

Advertisements

When I start at My Shows (Premiere at least, standard menus) and I choose a show to watch (pre-recorded), I hit the right arrow (or select I suppose) and it starts playing that show. When I hit left arrow, it stops playing that show, and brings me back to the My Shows menu... good, makes sense.

However, if in My Shows, I choose a show that is currently being recorded, it starts playing, I watch to the end maybe, and hit left arrow, I somehow get thrown into *another* currently-recording show, NOT back to the My Shows menu. That seems weird why it would jump into another show that is totally unrelated to the show I just watched...

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Non-HD menus? Not sure those get much attention any more. They don't even exist on the Roamio or the Bolt.

3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    My remote starts sending double commands when the batteries get low. Maybe that's what's happening to you.

4. neurocutie

neurocutie New Member

Mar 13, 2016
    yea, I tried the HD menus, but wasnt keen on them, but maybe I'll try them again...
    1) they seem too busy and the PIP window was distracting. I think they didn't have a live-TV option? no?
    2) I feed the Tivo output into a Slingbox. Can the Sling box handle HD menus? the res on Sling (e.g. in my office or on my iphone, at the receiving end of a 300-400kbs stream) isn't very high-res to begin with.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

The video window can be disabled. Settings, Display, Video Window.

The remote has a Live TV button.

6. neurocutie

neurocutie New Member

Mar 13, 2016
    yes, but do all remote access methods (Sling, Tivo apps, etc) have a Live TV button? Does the IP command set have a Live TV button command?

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    :confused: The Live TV button does one thing anywhere anytime: it takes you to a full screen of the current tuner. (Unless you are on full screen, then you move to the next tuner)

I haven't tried every possible location, but I haven't found one to fail.

I don't suggest you use the Live TV button to exit apps since hitting left will return you to the app. I would hit the TiVo button first.

8. neurocutie

neurocutie New Member

Mar 13, 2016
    I'm not sure we're talking about the same issue...

I'm concerned about controlling my Tivo when I DON'T have the native Tivo remote control available and its Live TV button, for example, across the Internet using a SlingBox or similar. Then all one has are the commands that the Tivo recognizes via its IP address, or that the SlingBox IR blaster knows how to send. All the remote interfaces seem to have the D-pad (arrows) available to nav the Tivo interface, but I'm not sure that the LiveTV button emulation is always available over the Internet. If not, the Watch Live TV option on the std menu is helpful.

I tried the HD menus again and found that the text labels for the menu options are too small to read clearly when viewed over the Internet via SlingBox, at least at the res and bandwidth that I have available (about 300-400kbs). So what am I really missing by sticking with the std menus?

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I hope someone else will post a solution for you. I have no experience with this problem.

10. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    We have used Slingbox Solos and 350s with TiVo and the Slingbox emulation of a TiVo remote includes a fully functional "Live TV" button...at least the Premiere and Roamio versions.

11. neurocutie

neurocutie New Member

Mar 13, 2016
    thanks. do you use the HD menus with the Slingboxen and if so, can you actually see the menu labeling clearly, over the Internet (not just within your house network)?

12. neurocutie

neurocutie New Member

Mar 13, 2016
    I think I know what is happening... it seems like a bug to me...

I believe the idea is that, in My Shows, you select a program to watch, then if you left-arrow back out of that program, it tries to put you back in the My Shows menu exactly where you left off. HOWEVER, it apparently "remembers" where you left off in the My Shows menu by storing the POSITION (or number) of the menu entry that you were at.

SO if, while you are watching your selected program, the unit starts to record another show, then that show gets inserted into the My Shows menu and the remembered place of where you are in that menu is now WRONG, such that, if you back out of that program, it plops you somewhere else, in the same position on the menu but now pointing at the wrong show since a new one got inserted.

no biggie, but a minor bug

13. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    We have Roamios so we always use HD menus (where available, of course). As long as your connection speed is sufficient, the menus are all very readable. The biggest "problem" is the latency between a button press and the execution of that command by the TiVo hardware. The internet adds so much lag that trickplay is impossible. However, Skipmode work great.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Yeah, it's been like that for years.