Tivo MediaCentre

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Warble, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Warble

Warble New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Northern...
    Hi Guys,
    hope this isn't silly but I will be upgrading my Tivo soon to attach it my network - most likely a cachecard and wireless bridge. Anyway, as the Tivo will be on the network, can it browse my pc to play any media files that are on it. I have done this on a chipped Xbox which boots into Linux so was hoping the same could be done on Tivo?

2. dribble

dribble New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    Bedford
    Hi there,

As far as I am aware, this can not be done. Well, certainly not on the UK series 1.

David

3. zippy7272

zippy7272 New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    yes, although I believe the subject is banned on this forum (not entirely sure why!)

Anyways there are other forums around that may help.

Sanderton has some interesting links from his web page: http://www.beaconhill.plus.com/TiVo/tivohacks.htm ;)

From memory one of the programs which may help is tyserver.

4. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    No - but you can do the opposite and browse the TiVo on XBMC. See my .sig for details.

5. Warble

Warble New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Northern...
    But is this not a feature on later models in USA ?

The other forums seem to cover video extraction - which I can understand being banned - but this is using the Tivo as a means of playing other media content. Surely this is much less of a hack than some of the hacks that seem to be 'allowed'.

6. Paul Stimpson

Paul Stimpson New Member

Aug 19, 2002
    Farnborough,...
    Hi,

From my understanding of the rules discussion of extracting video from TiVos is banned as it enables the Macrovision-in Macrovision-out feature in the TiVo to be bypassed and is seen as potentially promoting copyright theft. I don't believe it is against the rules to discuss playing media from another device on the TiVo which, if I understood correctly, is what you would like to do.

Cheers,
    Paul.