TiVo loses its voice

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ken kipnes, Nov 27, 2018.

1. ken kipnes

ken kipnes New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    New Hampshire

Advertisements

I don't really believe this is TiVo's fault, but I'll ask here anyway.

I have Comcast with 2 TiVo Bolt VOX (cablecard)
    Denon AVR-X1400H Receiver (which I am hating more and more each day)
    Samsung QLED 75" Q8F TV (this is about 2 weeks old)

Since I got this TV, if I turn OFF the TV first, then the Denon receiver, the TiVo loses the sound and the only way I can get it back is to restart the box. However, if I shut the Denon off first, wait for the HDMI to redisplay the TV picture, then turn off the TV, the TiVo is not affected.

Before the QLED, I had a Samsung Plasma TV with the same setup and I never had this problem.

This appears to point to the TV being the problem, but I can't see what that might be. I spoke with a tech at Best Buy Magnolia and he pointed to the Denon saying there should be an audio choice, but I can't see any good candidate.

Anyone have any ideas? I also don't see anything that TiVo could be doing to cause this.

ken

2. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Have you tried turning off HDMI-CEC on both the Denon and the Samsung to see if that makes a difference yet?

ken kipnes likes this.
  3. ken kipnes

ken kipnes New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Turning HDMI-CEC off on the Samsung seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the tip!

Ken

mrsean likes this.
  4. ken kipnes

ken kipnes New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I spoke too soon.

The HDMI setting is now off in both the Samsung and Denon. The behavior is different, I don't have to restart the TiVo anymore, but the sound still does go off for about 10 minutes before coming back on if I just shut the TV off without first shutting off the Denon.

Is there another setting that I am not seeing? Is there a TiVo setting somewhere?

Ken

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

You could try toggling the TiVo's audio output between Dolby and PCM. I've found this to fix various audio problems at times. (It's a nuisance, but marginally less annoying than rebooting, if it works.)

6. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    You could just use the digital audio out from the Tivo into the Denon and avoid HDMI issues.

7. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    I’ve had this issue with my Samsung. I just needed to change the input (source) on the tv to something else and then back to the TiVo.

8. ken kipnes

ken kipnes New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I will try playing with the audio on the TiVo and Denon to see if that changes anything. I am also strongly considering getting rid of the Denon as I hate it with a passion.

I can't change the input on the TV for 2 reasons: the TiVo isn't directly connected to the TV, only the Denon is, and the TV is off.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

9. alarson83

alarson83 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    West Des...
    Ive had this issue as well, it started with Hydra for me.

stevepow likes this.
  10. reds91185

reds91185 New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    What about connecting your devices to the tv via HDMI, then running HDMI from tv to receiver using ARC?

CloudAtlas likes this.
  11. ken kipnes

ken kipnes New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I fixed it.

I bought a Yamaha RX-A880BL receiver and removed the Denon. It doesn't happen anymore. I shut the TV off, the HDMI cycles normally and TiVo stays on.

Anyone want a Denon AVR-X1400?

Thanks for your input.

Ken

12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

does it work if the hdmi-cec is off on the TV and not the denon? why did you tempt fate by turning both off?

13. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Try a new HDMI cable. Make sure it’s 4k compatible.

14. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Well that’s a fix ain’t it? I probably would have done the same thing except it might have taken longer for me to get there!

Mikeguy likes this.
  15. ken kipnes

ken kipnes New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Hi JACKASTOR

To answer your questions, I have been using all new cables, 4K compatible. Also, the Denon comes with the HDMI setting off by default, I didn't change it. I only changed the Samsung setting.

ken

16. Willy92

Willy92 Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Los Angeles
    You guys are too smart for me.

I just got a new Denon, but, the model under yours, and a new Samsung Qled 65" 6F tv. My question to you is why do you run with the HDMI off? I thought that was the point of getting a reciever with 24k HDMI output and having it on.

Anyway, after programming my Tivo remote to turn my Denon on/off, volume and mute, when I turn my tv off the Denon turns off, just like I want it to. What I would like for it to do is turn it on, but it doesn't.

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't know your specific Samsung TV model, but some have an auto-on feature/setting for a soundbar--having said that, I don't know if you would want to use it, as it works when the soundbar is connected by optical cable, not HDMI. But you may want to explore in your Samsung user manual/settings some--there might be something there in this area.

Also, are you saying that even though you programmed the TiVo remote to turn the Denon on/off, it won't turn it on, only off?

18. Willy92

Willy92 Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Yes, but, it worked that way before with an older Denon 2309 and an older Samsung plazma tv.

19. stevepow

stevepow New Member

Sep 3, 2014
    This loss of audio issue started for us after updating to Hydra. It happens, for example, when switching from Apple TV back to TiVo with our Marantz AV7703. I don't fault the AV7703 as it was fine before Hydra and, as mentioned above, toggling TiVo between PCM and Dobly fixes it. We've lately turned off the horrendously implemented TiVo CEC feature to see if that solves it - so far, so good. TiVo CEC is so botched, it's a non-starter for now anyway - they really need to look at an Apple TV to see how well it could work if done right, and then do that.

I really don't know what they were thinking with Hydra. I don't mind the interface, but I think there are deeper problems. We used to be able to play content back even if the internet was down, and now I don't think that is true with Hyrda. The new remote that cannot be programmed is worthless to me - I don't need to control the input on my TV, but rather the AV7703 that is the hub for everything coming in. Of course, if CEC worked right, that would be a non-issue as well; the correct input would be automatically selected as is with the Apple TV and Oppo 203.

20. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    That's been happening to me too!

I thought it was me, but I use expensive cables, so I wasn't sure. Crazy.