TiVo looses track of other TiVo's

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Punji, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jun 1, 2011 #1 of 14
    Punji

Punji New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    I've been having this issue for a while now. I've tried TiVo Support twice now but their fixes have not worked and seem to be designed to maximize downtime to get me to give up in frustration.

I have 4 TiVos on my network. 1 TiVo Premeire XL, 2 TiVo HDs, 1 Series 2.

The Network is primarily a Home Plug AV Network (wired connection running over powerline) with a Linksys E3000 as the Home Router/GW, with one device (The Series 2) Connected over wireless.

What happens is that periodically all of the TiVos will stop listing the other TiVos on the network and my PC's running TiVo Desktop. All other network functions work fine. I can connect to TiVo, browse and play YouTube videos, etc. i.e. I am 100% sure that I have network connectivity.

If I tell any of the TiVos to reaquire and IP address (I'm set up using dynamic IPs allocated by the linksys), then it will see the other TiVos for a period of time. Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours. When I look on my Mac to see what is being advertised with Bonjour I see all of the TiVos listed.

An interesting recent twist is that when I changed my PC to use the "old style" Tivo Beacon instead of Bonjour to advertise it stays up much more frequently on my TiVos than do the other TiVos or other PCs running Desktop using Bonjour.

I also cannot find the TiVo Premiere via the IPad app.

To answer some of the other obvious questions:
    1. No I don't have a tuning adapter. All HD Tivos and the Premeire are running Multichannel Cable Cards.
    2. Yes I really am sure I have IP connectivity, and that my home GW is not blocking ports.
    3. Yes. Simply doing what is effectively an /ipconfig /renew (i.e. going into network setup and changing nothing but taking it all the way through the process) does restore the access to the other TiVos at least temporarily.
    4. Rebooting the TiVo has the same effect.
    5. I have tried rebooting the router also.
    6. I have done the disable Home media at the Tivo Site, Reboot, Enable Home Media, Reboot. It had no effect.

2. Jun 1, 2011 #2 of 14
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    So unless we're looking for a TiVo bug that affects Premiere and TiVo HD and Series 2, it would appear that you have some sort of network problem. Are all network devices running the latest firmware?

3. Jun 1, 2011 #3 of 14
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Set the TiVo IP addresses to static, and see if the issues continue.

4. Jun 1, 2011 #4 of 14
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    When the dynamic IP address of a TiVo changes it takes a while before the other TiVo's on the network get the address change notification. One way around this is to assign each TiVo a Fixed IP that is keyed to the TiVos (Network adapter's) unique MAC address.

Setup is not too difficult see page 6 of the Linksys E3000 User Guide
    Another you might want update the firmware in the Linksys E3000 to Ver.1.0.04

5. Jun 1, 2011 #5 of 14
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    My daughter and her husband has this problem and I know it is the router (Belkin), it is set so VPN will work but she has the loss of the TiVos on the network as you have, I brought over an older Belkin and the TiVos worked great, the VPN not so great, both routers are fully updated, I tried both static and DHCP, nothing I did would fix the problem, using the older Belkin I could not make the problem happen, I am sure there is a reason but it must be above my pay grade.

6. Jun 1, 2011 #6 of 14
    Punji

Punji New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Already running that version.

I'll try the static but I'm not too optimistic as I noted it is an issue that occurs after time but in fact goes away immediately when I renew the IP address. Also the way I'm configured devices rarely get a new IP address and the error occurs after hours and my DHCP lease time is not in hours.

7. Jun 3, 2011 #7 of 14
    Punji

Punji New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Following the suggestions I changed all of my TiVos to static IPs. Now all get a static IP each time. As I predicted absolutely no change. Doing the Network Settings and making no change still causes the TiVo that I did that on to see the other TiVos for a limited time and doing it on my Premiere allows the iPad App to see it, for a limited time. After a period of a few hours the TiVo Stops seeing other TiVos and the Premiere is not found by the iPad app.

8. Jun 3, 2011 #8 of 14
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I've had this same problem on three TiVos, a PremiereXL and two HDXLs, losing track of each other periodically. Sometimes rebooting all helps and sometimes not. Going into my account and resetting already existing permissions often fixes the problem.

I refuse to accept my network is the issue/problem. One unit is hardwired ethernet and the other two are wireless G. Exactly the same as my Series 2 units that functioned flawlessly in this setup for years before Comcast forced me to "upgrade".

9. Jun 3, 2011 #9 of 14
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Apparently the Linksys E3000 does not include a modem of any kind. How does it connect to the Internet? Please include make and model of all other network equipment. (If you listed them, I missed it.)

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Like it or not its a router problem, but i don't know why, when you change the router to a different model/brand the system will start to work. Friends of mine have had this problem and the only solution I have for them is changing out the router, works every time.

11. jonasro

jonasro New Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I have nearly the same EXACT setup as the OP, including the MegaPlug ethernet connectors on all but the Series 2 tivo...

Have changed to Tivo Beacon per the OP post; we'll see if that helps.

As far as having trouble with the Ipad app, you might try disabling the "multistream" feature in your router and see if that helps... I was having trouble with my Ipad app as well until I disabled multisteaming.. Now, it's pretty much flawless.

As far as this being a router issue as opposed to a DVR-specific issue, I still think Tivo should have a fix or better recommendation than "restart your box", which is essentially their answer to everything... maybe that wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take 10-12 minutes to reboot the device.

12. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Is DHCP Reservation any better off than dynamic allocation? I don't know enough about the protocol, but it seems like if the issue relates to actually renewing of the lease, whether the TiVo gets the same IP address or a different one (which seems unlikely unless there are a LOT of hosts coming on and dropping off the network) wouldn't matter. Again, I haven't gotten into the nuts and bolts of DHCP Reservation to know if the client still has to lease the reserved address or not. I just stick with static IPs, and leave the whole lease/renew garbage to bigger networks than mine...

13. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Sage advise.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I use DHCP reservations with my Dlink router to assign IP addresses to My TiVos.
    I also use a lease time of 14 days(20160 minutes).
    I do not have any of these issues on my network.