Tivo & local emergency test video screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ps56k, Apr 6, 2010.

1. ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...

Advertisements

this was weird -
    I was watching a recorded show - Saving Grace -
    and the local weekly or montly Emergency Test came on the TV.

I thought it was part of the recording... but it wasn't - it was real time.
    The Tivo had flipped to real time TV and was showing the Emergency Broadcast (test) signal.... On Comcast - all the channels are displayed at the same time with the local Emergency screen.

Anyway - I thought this was interesting - in that there must be some kind of signal/coding (the modulated buzz tone) that the Tivo recognizes and switches to live TV... had not experienced this, and not sure it is described anywhere.

2. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, that would be considered a good thing, as the point of the system is to alert you in real-time even if you are watching a recording.

3. ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...
    yes - I would agree it would be a good thing to implement... switch to Emgerncy channel when triggered.

Was just curious about it...

BTW - we actually have a weather alert radio in the house that we used to carry during the summer for camping and outdoor swim team meets... and it of course goes off prior to the TV crawlers...
    ------
    here's the wiki - a weekly test - same as the radio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System
    ----
    On cable systems before the start of the EAS test, all of a system's channels, both on cable ready televisions directly connected to the coaxial cable, and those on cable boxes, are redirected to one digital channel which is received on all tiers of service, but doesn't usually give out news or weather information (such as the TV Guide Network, QVC, HSN, or a public access station), where the test occurs from the local headend office or from the system's master office elsewhere in the region. Newer technology allows cable DVR and video on demand systems to interrupt playback of a program for an EAS test. After the test ends, the one channel usually remains on screen for 5-10 additional seconds before the original station/network is returned to.

4. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    It has been there for a long time.

I retired in December 2002 and purchased an S3 as soon as they came out.

Since I don't need to get up early anymore, I am often still watching shows up to about 2AM. In our area the emergency warning test is usually run sometime between 1AM and 2AM.

At this point, when you are watching a recorded show and the emergency warning is shown, the S3 even keeps track of exactly where you were when the test started.

As soon as the test is complete, you can return to the recording and start up exactly where you were.

5. ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...

Advertisements

I tend to stay up late also, around 2-3am -
    and I've seen the EAS screen several times,
    but never had been watching a recording on the Tivo when the EAS popped up.

So - this was a first. Yeah, the recording stops just like you went somewhere else (which you did) and when the EAS is done, the "resume playing" screen is displayed.

6. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Sometimes those things record. I have had them in the middle of recordings.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    According to what others have said (it may be in the Tivo manual too), if you put the Tivos in *standby*, they will not change channel for the EAS (and thus ruin your recordings).

Another reason to put them in standby (along with potentially starting suggestions sooner -- useful for those of us who use suggestions as a poor man's free space indicator.. which the Premiere has for real...)

8. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    When I get an Emergency Alert signal, the Tivo doesn't interrupt recordings anymore. It drops out of whatever it's doing to live TV but stays on the channels it's recording. I get an overlayed text crawl with the emergency alert message scrolling across the top of the display. The text crawl does not show up in my recordings. I think it's a function of the cable system and not the Tivo.

9. satmaster

satmaster Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Louisiana
    Mine has never done that but its not dual tunner so it would be unable to see such a over the air broadcast while I am on satellite. However on a cable system the signal is broadcast on all channels so your tivo would see the signal.

The FCC requires the broadcast to be on all channels so its likely Tivo is following this rule.