TiVo listings outdated - don't match zap2it

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by moyekj, Apr 30, 2011.

1. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

Every year it's the same thing. The TiVo guide listings around NBA playoffs hardly ever get updated with the proper descriptions and very often even wrong time slots. I always have to end up finding game times elsewhere and scheduling manual recordings. As an example on Sunday is Boston/Miami game and all 3 of my TiVos with fresh net connects right now just have "First Round, Game 7: Teams TBA" and wrong time slot nonsense for that game and all other games for that matter. So I go online and check zap2it listings for same area code and guess what - it has proper times and descriptions. So what the heck takes TiVo so long to update their listings? The guide is worthless for NBA scheduling around this time of year... Even just a generic wishlist to record all games won't do it because the time slots are wrong.

Seems like TiVo is terrible at keeping up to date guide listings. Even my ReplayTV years were better as far as that goes.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  3. May 1, 2011 #3 of 11
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    When was your last connection? Maybe the correct data on zap2it was recently changed. My last connection was 10:13am on Saturday and I'm showing correct and full data for the games.

4. May 1, 2011 #4 of 11
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's finally up to date today. There are still some ESPN games with incomplete listings however.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

Well it's that time of year again where zap2it has proper listings for NBA playoff games for my zip code but TiVo guide listings just have "TBA" even after multiple connections. Big surprise. Sigh...

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    And finally this morning I have the correct listings.

7. lonewoolf47

lonewoolf47 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Denver, CO.
    It is frustrating! I kept waiting for the schedule for the Nuggets and finally got it last night. What causes the delay?

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It seems like TiVo listings only update once a day such that if there is a schedule change the TiVo can be up to 24 hours delayed and for last minute changes miss it completely. Factor in when your TiVo calls home it's possible you can go up to 48 hours or so without getting the change.
    Seems to me the logical thing that should happen is at least the next day worth of listings should get updated at least twice per day.

9. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Also Zap2it seems to be behind lately. If you check their listings they only have channels like Discovery a week out. Search seems to miss a lot of shows lately also on their site.

For example search for the apprentice. To find All-Star Celebrity apprentice you have to actually browse the guide and click on the show, it doesn't show up in search.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Zap2It and Tivo get their information from Times Media. They just came out of bankruptcy and probably haven't got things right yet. The TiVo listings' update times are in the Settings and can happen daily but, like you said, that could mean 47.9 hours. The time is random to avoid server overload. You can check the time or force an update if you wish to wait the 10 minute processing time.

It's a blame game that nobody can figure out. Does TMS have old data from the supplier? Does TiVo not get the updates? Does TiVo not apply the updates? Pick your target and shoot.

Only constant is the end time (7pm EDT for me). You can check tvguide.com (15 days but crappy web site), Titantv.com (14 days and better web site) and Zap2It.com for 13 days but most accurate.

11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Zap2it is part of Times Media. There are times when networks will change
    things so last minute that no web site will have the change. This happened last Friday night and Saturday night as an example.