1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo lights flashing: red/blue together alternating with green

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tinmanic, Sep 14, 2018.

1. tinmanic

tinmanic New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Need some help here. Our TiVo Roamio won't start. On the front panel, the lights flash in an alternating pattern: quick blue/red together, then green for 1-2 seconds, over and over.

We replaced the internal hard drive a few weeks ago by ourselves, because the TiVo kept rebooting and the front panel light pattern seemed to indicate a problem with the original drive. (I can't remember what that pattern was now.) Since replacing the drive, the TiVo has occasionally spontaneously rebooted, and the TiVo sound effects have only intermittently worked. Then, this morning, the TiVo kept spontaneously rebooting. I unplugged it and when I plugged it back in, I got the light pattern above and it wouldn't start.

I called TiVo customer support and they said this was a hard drive problem. But I found a post (Flashing Lights...Green on then off...Blue & Red simultaneously on then off...repeat...repeat...) that said this problem and light pattern can be fixed by replacing the power supply. Anyone know if that's the case? Or any other ideas?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    What HD did you install?

-KP

3. hitormiss74

hitormiss74 New Member

Nov 1, 2005
    It was a WD Red 1TB (WD10EFRX), which we had seen listed as an ok replacement for the Roamio.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If it's a Roamio Basic or OTA with an external power supply, I'd certainly try replacing it.

Scott

5. gersh49

gersh49 Active Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    My Roamio Basic had this blinking pattern a couple of months ago. Replacing the external power supply solved the problem.

6. Skydiva

Skydiva New Member

Aug 2, 2018
    Checking with Tinmanic to see if the suggested new power supply resolved the issue?

I’ve had a similar problem -Roamio stuck in boot loop, replaced hard drive with a WD Red. When I plugged the Roamio back in, the flashing light pattern you describe appeared- have not been able to run guided setup on the new hard drive.

Edit/Update - Answered this myself. Yes, this fixed the problem.
    Interestingly, the old external power supply is working fine on the new Roamio OTA purchased when the situation first arose. I just tried the power supply on the upgraded Roamio and that resolved the flashing lights problem; it’s running through guided setup right now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018