Tivo lifetime transfer - good deal, or do they know something i dont?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timezone, Aug 28, 2007.

1. timezone

timezone New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Boston
    I have 2 series 1 tivos that I never updated on the last deal, but I called CS today and asked anyway. They told me I can transfer my lifetime service to a new model (one-time only), whatever model I choose, purchased from where ever I want.

The thing is, I bought my units sometime in 2001 & 2002, so I thought, and had confirmed before, that I did not qualify for the grandfather transfer (one-time only lifetime service transfer) l, but I apparently can transfer now.

Any idea if they changed the timelines for series 1 owners?

Anyway, it seems like I should jump on getting the new HD for $300, or series 2 for $100, or wherever has the best deal then call up as instructed to have them transferred.

Any thoughts on why the seemingly good deal? What would you do?

thanks

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Sounds like you got a CSR that isn't aware of the difference between a lifetimed Series 1 and a grandfathered Series 1.

What would I do? I would have transferred them to new THD boxes before I hung up the phone ... :D

3. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    If you want 2 tivos, My recommendation would be to get one series 2 and one series 3/HD and only put the lifetime on the S2.

Then, you would qualify for the multiservice discount and for a 3 year plan the S3/HD would only cost you 6.95 a month. The lifetime is great because you qualify for both the MSD and get a box with lifetime for a reasonable price. I would lifetime only the S2 because of the uncertainty with the S3/HD and SDV, which has potential to hurt those units much more than the S2 because of the bandwith savings of switching HD channels. Price wise and future thinking you would be getting 2 dual tuner tivos, one with HD, one with the ability to transfer to a computer or portable device and a good monthly price to boot!

I have a S2 w/lifetime and chose to keep its lifetime and add a S3 because 6.95 per month price would take an awful long time to make up for $300, 42 months of service to be exact.

If you did not transfer any lifetime, your servie plan would cost 18.95 (I think) with a 3 year commitment, so after only 10 months, you would be paying more than if you put the lifetime on one box.

Hope this helps, and feel free to correct my math if I am mistaken...

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Be aware that previous non-grandfathered transfer deals came with a $299 price tag (or was it $199...I don't remember). You may want to ask if you will be charged that fee before doing the transfer. I transferred mine even with the fee, so maybe you will want to as well.

5. timezone

timezone New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Boston
    When I talked to the rep I asked them to put notation on the acct so there is a record that I was told I can get a FREE one-time transfer of product lifetime service for each tivo I own. I hope I covered by bases.

6. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Notation or no notation, the transfer is given a case number and not official until reviewed by a higher power. I doubt they will let a lame CSR's mistake like this slip through the cracks.