Tivo Lifetime subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by xotomox, Jul 8, 2007.

1. xotomox

xotomox New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

I'm selling a Tivo that has a lifetime subscription, the tivo boots up but won't work. I'm currently selling it on ebay and everyone is asking for the Service number. Is this a number I Can give out, or should I not give this number out for security reasons? (if I give them the s#, will they pirate the free subscription?)

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Is the TiVo registered to your account on tivo.com? If not, do so.

It's a dilemma. The buyers want the TSN in order to verify that the box indeed has lifetime service. Maybe they hope to call TiVo and ask, though the results are not always reliable.

Unfortunately, it IS theoretically possible in certain circumstances for someone to transfer the lifetime sub to another box. Very unlikely if you have it registered to you. What often does happen, and this is why they ask, is that the seller sells the box and THEN transfers the lifetime status away before it is reregistered.

I'm not sure what to advise you here. I think that as long as you have the box registered, it's reasonably safe to give prospective buyers the TSN.

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If the buyer does not trust you with the Lifetime Service how does he know that you will send him the TiVo you gave out the Lifetime TSN for. You could send him a box of bricks..that what feedback is for. I would not give out the TSN until the person does the purchase.

4. xotomox

xotomox New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks guys...

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005

Advertisements

When selling lifetitme units on eBay I always refuse to give the TSN just to avoid potential problems. If the buyer cannot accept my PowerSeller rating and membership in eBay's Square Trade then I would just as soon not have them as a customer anyway.