TiVo Lifetime Service $99

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by exegesis48, Sep 13, 2019.

1. exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Recently pulled my old TiVo Premiere out of the closet and set it up in my daughter’s bedroom so she can watch cartoons on her own TV. The Lifetime Service has previously been transferred off of the unit for a newer device and as such it was pretty useless other than just setting it to a channel and watching whatever was on. In order to get some life out of it I setup monthly service at $15 a month, but then had a change of heart after the first month or so and decided to call and cancel. Imagine my surprise when TiVo offered to replace lifetime service on the device for $99?!

I know it’s an old device but I do think there’s still value in the TiVo service for the time being and for the price of just over 6 months of regular service, we’re set for the foreseeable future. Everybody wins.

eman926, Mikeguy, jrtroo and 2 others like this.
  2. JackMcC

JackMcC Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Nice! The benefit of a large bureaucracy is that they probably lost their record on the history of the unit. Either that or the customer service person didn't care.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mikeguy, jrtroo and Noelmel like this.
  3. exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I think maybe TiVo is coming to their senses and realizing that getting $100 short term from a customer vs $0 long term, just makes sense. Especially for a device that was paid for long ago.

mrsean and Noelmel like this.
  4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would think this is a one off, and not a trend. We'll see.

JackMcC and Mikeguy like this.
  5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I used the same tactic on a dual tuner Premiere 5 years ago and got $99 lifetime service. A co worker gave it to me, so it was never on my account previously. The apps on the Premiere are horrible now. They were better when I first got the Premiere. I switched back to using the SD interface on the Premiere.

6. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    $15/month just for guide data on any device, even brand new, is completely outrageous.

alarson83 and sd2528 like this.
  7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I think that $15/month also covers some of the hardware cost, and monthly pay to TiVo also covers extended warranty, correct me if I am incorrect.

8. sd2528

sd2528 Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Hardware should be dirt cheap at this point. A low grade processor with a fast network card and a large non solid state hard drive?

9. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Yeah, monthly fees should not cover hardware costs. My biggest reason for cancelling cable was due to exorbitant monthly equipment rental fees on Verizon equipment. This is an area where Tivo could really stand out by not having such fees.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    TiVo has had many pricing schemes over the years, and cross-subdizing hardware and service has been one of their primary approaches. They are not a utility, and can price however they think will drive sales.

11. nitro001

nitro001 New Member

Oct 30, 2017
    About ~10 years back, I had a linux PC setup running MythTV and multiple hauppauge tuner cards. Before I knew really about TiVO. With this, it used Schedules Direct for its guide data, had a limit of being able to grab the data a couple times a day but it was only $25/year. Originally it was from Tribune Media Services (TMS) Free schedules, but this switched over to Schedules Direct which purchase a license via TMS - which TiVo and other commercial digital video recorders also use.

So of the ~$180/yr we are paying. Probably less than $25/month is guide data since that was non-profit pricing. The rest is for online access, sync, convenience fee, etc...

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    For guide data, TiVo "uses" TiVo (aka Rovi). That's why it's so bad.

13. nitro001

nitro001 New Member

Oct 30, 2017
  14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  15. Mister B

Mister B Member

Jan 23, 2011
    El Paso...
    Actually, I tried the new Orby satellite service. It is OK and I would even recommend it to some people but I just do not find much compelling content in the major satellite/cable networks anymore so found myself still watching OTA most of the time. For $12 per month Orby will allow their DVR to be used for OTA only. The DVR is owned outright after an initial cost of $199. The guide data comes from PSIP data which is provided for free by the local channels and varies in quality and quantity.
    To me, $12 per month just to "unlock" the DVR that I already own felt like ransomeware. I pulled my old Tivo Series 3 HD with lifetime out of the closet.

16. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    So you pay $199 to "own" the equipment, but you have to pay an additional $12/month for the privilege of using it (with free PSIP data no less)? It makes absolutely no sense to do that. You can pick up a Recast for around the same price and pay no monthly fees for the exact same setup.

17. Mister B

Mister B Member

Jan 23, 2011
    El Paso...
    You got it. Of course, Orby's primary service is satellite channels although even with those one pays an additional $4 per month to use the DVR. It does have satellite delivered guide data but then so does the non-DVR receiver. It could not cost them any more to allow the DVR to work. They frame the use of the DVR for OTA only in the context of "taking a break" from the satellite service. They do make it easy to turn service on and off with no contract. I can not imagine many people would keep the $12 a month DVR service for OTA very long as a permanent solution.