TiVo lifetime 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by iannilin, Oct 11, 2018.

1. iannilin

iannilin New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    I have three Tivo's in one home with Cablevision and I have one TiVo with xfinity. They all work great they power up they get the Guided set up with no problem. I love my Tivo's. iannilin

2. Oakland1000

Oakland1000 New Member

May 31, 2018
    I suppose this is as good a place to put in a question for the knowledgeable re which older, "classic" TIVO should I buy used if I wanted to get a good useable system. My daughter bought me a TiVo Roamio OTA and I'm very happy with it. But, I want to explore the older models and for some reason (with no real rationale) I've focussed on a TiVo Series 3 with Lifetime Subscription. But, is there a different model that I should be considering? I see there are a number of factors to consider in terms of value e.g. an old series 1 with lifetime subscription pre ca. 2000 has a transferrable lifetime subscription etc. I'm a relative newby so I defer to you older gents who may know more about the pedigree and capabilities of some of these classic models. Also, I'd use this system to record some cable programs like HGTV which I would eventually get back to when I do my Marathon watching, if you know what I mean.
    Any ideas on how I should approach this?

3. iannilin

iannilin New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    We have many TiVo 3's. We love them. I have had other tivo's but I think the TiVo 3 to me is rated number one. I do suggest that you make sure you get a lifetime membership with it. They are transferable. Get the serial number and call Tivo before you purchase just to make sure it is definitely a lifetime. We purchased our first TiVo 3 when they first came out which I would say is 15 years plus and they all still work great. Many cable companies will give you the card for free I have Xfinity and they gave me a free card. Cablevision charges $2 per month for the card. Even though there were two slots you only need one multi card. There are different opinions at Xfinity. One agent wanted to charge me and I came back the next day and got another agent and they said it was free if you have an account. so you will get different rates from different cable companies. You need internet service of course. again good luck. iannilin

4. iannilin

iannilin New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    We have many TiVo 3's. We love them. I have had other tivo's but I think the TiVo 3 to me is rated number one. I do suggest that you make sure you get a lifetime membership with it. They are transferable. Get the serial number and call Tivo before you purchase just to make sure it is definitely a lifetime. We purchased our first TiVo 3 when they first came out which I would say is 15 years plus and they all still work great. Many cable companies will give you the card for free I have Xfinity and they gave me a free card. Cablevision charges $2 per month for the card. Even though there were two slots you only need one multi card. There are different opinions at Xfinity. One agent wanted to charge me and I came back the next day and got another agent and they said it was free if you have an account. so you will get different rates from different cable companies. You need internet service of course. again good luck. iannilin

5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Series 1 models cannot be used at all now. End of subject.
    Series 2 models are only SD. I believe they can still be used as long as they have a current service plan, but one cannot be RE-activated now. Personally, I can see absolutely no reason why anyone would choose to use a Series 2 now.
    Series 3 models still work with current TiVo, cable, and OTA, and they have excellent HD capabilities. But there are a couple of things you should know:
    No Series 3 box can be initially activated today, nor can one be RE-activated today if it does not have a current subscription. I suggest that you should NEVER consider any Series 3 that does not have a valid lifetime subscription. It is also a good idea to only consider one that has made a successful service connection in the last month or two - that proves it actually works! Finally, there are several reasons you should avoid one of the ORIGINAL Series 3 models (referred to as OLED models, and the model numbers start with 648). Those OLED models cannot use multi-stream cable cards (so you need 2), and they cannot receive the newer HD format signals that many cable companies have gone to. But those original boxes are just fine for OTA.

I think all other Series 3 HD models are great, but you should be aware that the power supplies have had issues and probably won't work properly or for long if they have not had the capacitors replaced already. And too many people still think they can get high dollars for a Series 3 with a Lifetime subscription. In my opinion, they are not worth more than $100, and for that, you should expect to get BOTH an updated power supply AND an expanded hard drive - at least 1TB capacity.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    HerronScott likes this.
  6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As fond as I am of all 3 models of the Series 3 boxes I would not currently recommend anything older than the TCD746320 Premiere because of the S3 power supply problem and flashing green light problem if you'd rather watch your TiVo than work on it.

7. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    A dual tuner premiere with the SD interface selected is a close approximation of a Series 3.