TiVo, kmttg & Video ReDo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ccd, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ccd

ccd New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Using kmttg & VRD Ad-cut to download shows, VRD creates a .VPrj file which I use to manually edit the actual ad-cuts. Regardless of the settings I have tried, the downloads ALWAYS include a .mpg file and the .VPrj is ALWAYS linked to the .mpg file and not the .tivo file.

Are there kmttg settings/configuration that would eliminate the .mpg file & link the .VPrj file to the .tivo file?

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    The mpg is the decrypted TiVo file. For VRD to work w/TiVo files, you'll need to have TiVo Desktop installed. Personally I prefer to let kmttg download and decrypt the TiVo file, deleting the TiVo file after decrpytion without TiVo Desktop installed.

Likewise I let VRD delete the unencrypted mpg file after, I've run quickstream (prior to ad detection).

3. ccd

ccd New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Thanks for that.

The reason for wanting to work with the .tivo image is that the show description gets lost when it is sent back to the TiVo using the .mpg file even though the metadata file is present. About all that is preserved from the metadata is the original air date. If, however, I run the .tivo through VRD, the returned edited file has all aspects of the description intact.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You must be using TiVo Desktop to send the .mpg back to the TiVo. It just ignores the metadata file. Either streambaby or pyTivo will use the metadata file. VideoReDo will keep the metadata in the .TiVo file if you output it as a tivo file. AFAIK that is the only practical way to edit tivo files and retain the embedded metadata.