Tivo keeps restarting

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by punchinboy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I had an old thread from a few weeks ago and can't find it so I will start a new with updated info, My Sony SVR 2000 would not start up all, stuck at "Almost there a few more seconds please". The general consensus was the hard drive had gone kaput. So I did get a drive utility from Maxtor's site and determined that the drive was bad. So I purchased a new drive and software for SVR 2000 to rebuild the new drive. This worked to get the drive up and get me to the Guided setup.

New problem, I get through the setup to the point where I state that I am using the RCA video and audio inputs and outputs then the system just reboots. I have been successful getting all the way through guided setup if I tell the Tivo that I am using only antenna, "coax" connections. However, I am not using this so of course I cannot view live TV. I do get to Tivo central this way though.

Power Supply switching off? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rick

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Try a clear and delete everything from reset menu and see if that helps. Size of new drive?

3. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    It's not possible to C&D from within Guided Setup. Does this unit have service on it? If not, it's a known problem that unsubbed units running 3.0 SW will reboot on certain screens that check for a video signal. If this is the case, send me your 15-digit TSN and I will put service on the unit for a day to allow you to finish GS.

4. punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    The unit has a lifetime sub and when it makes it's first call it says that it is checking sub status and comes back as lifetime. It does seam to reboot at the video check screen most of the time. However, after the first time it reboots, you start setup again and sometimes then it will reboot earlier.

I have completed guided setup by saying that I am using only antenna, which I do not have hooked up. So this allows me to get to Tivo central but of course I cannot watch live tv.

At the point that I completed guided setup in the manner above. I did do a clear and delete everything. Same problem persists during next guided setup.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rick G

5. punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005

Advertisements

P.S.

I just wanted to mention a couple of more things. First, I also went to Sony site for troubleshooting of SVR 2000. Not much there except to do a start where you press pause while plugging Tivo. Then when right LED lights press 58+enter and the Tivo calls out for new software. This has been done.

Also the original problem was that I could not watch live tv but I could watch anything that was already recorded. Then nothing past the "almost there" screen.
    At this point I did nothing with the Tivo for the next year. Then I replaced the 40gig hard drive with a 120gig hard drive.

By completeing the guided setup with antenna only I can get the system info.

Software version =3.0-01-1-010
    Tivo service # 010-****-502B-****
    Tivo account status = 5: Product Lifetime Sevice
    Record Capacity = 38hours 48min best
    140hours 50min basic
    internal temp 29c

Thanks and Regards,
    Rick G

6. shanew1289

shanew1289 New Member

May 6, 2004
    edwardsville...
    Try to PM him to keep those #'s off the net maybe?

7. punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I did finally get the system to complete guided setup with Satellite, yippie. My latest problem is that it says there is no video on the RCA connection which is what I am using.

I can tell you that the mpeg chip is quite hot to the touch. All other chips in the unit are cool. I don't know what the normal feel of this chip should be. The unit temp is 29c normal.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rick

8. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    Instead of "5 8", try "5 2" to reinstall SW. "5 8" is for a different process. I don't know what the normal temp of the individual components should be, but it's starting to sound like you have a hardware problem.

9. Feb 4, 2006 #9 of 10
    punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    OK, I am about to get out the 10 pound sledge. As stated just above I got the unit to finish setup with satelite, but then no signal detected on the inputs(have hooked all signal up directly to TV and work). So I had to go out all week this week, unplugged the unit while gone. Came back and plugged in. Goes to almost there screen, reboot, almost there screen, reboot.......

I know the hard drive is good. New with new image.

Any other ideas before I demolish this silver box of components.

10. jonguy86

jonguy86 New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Newtown, PA
    OK, this is my first post, but trust me I have done a fair bit of scanning through this and other places for help before opening my mouth, so to speak. I have a Pioneer 810HS and it's doing the same thing as punchinboy's. First symptoms of trouble were when it wouldn't load the program data (seems ages ago, error SO8, was it?). Then I followed the recommendation to force the mfs check (57), and from then on it went into perpetual GSOD and reboot sequence. Blast.

Next, I went through the procedures to upgrade to a new 160GB HDD and finally started it back up only to have it do the same "Service Unavailable" routine and reboot everytime I tried to change a setting or force a connection through the ethernet connection. It did save and play all my old programs, time shift OK, but no program guide (even though I successfully sent program requests online, it wouldn't record because it didn't show them in the guide). So, fool that I am, I tried to trigger an emergency reinstall (52), and now I am in the perpetual reboot sequence, albeit without the time-consuming GSOD stop in the do-loop. My last effort was to trigger a software reinstall (56), and this was initially promising (black screen, "Connecting to the server...), but then I get a line with both ethernet and phone line attached "Error: Bad connection." and the unit sits idle.

Is this to the point where I just need to pay Pioneer its $200 to repair the unit, or is there something else I should attempt? Appreciate whatever help by reply or PM to reinstall a clue in this user.