Tivo keeps pushing buttons after letting go of remote button

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jaredmwright, Jan 26, 2006.

1. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    My Tivo has recently started having a mind of its own. It will not respond after I select a up down left or right as well as fast forward rewind, etc... I have tried restarting gracefully as well as powering off completely. After I powered it off, it got stuck at the powering up screen and would not go any further. I then restored the backup image from 6 months ago using MFSrestore and replaced the drive. This time it booted up just fine, but it still has the same problem. It is like it is taking a button press and multiplying the effects by 10. I have tried changing the remote control batteries, blocking the remote sensor, removing the batteries (when I do, it continues to push the option until it stops)

Tivo Details: Series2 w/40GB original drive, upgraded to 160GB 1 year ago. Wireless USB Dell adapter, remote IR controls to my DirecTV receiver. Software 7.1.xxx

Example:

I push Right to go into Now Playing and it keeps going Right for about 10 more times, it even makes the sound and everything. This is really annoying and I am concerned that my Tivo may be faulty and I have a lifetime subscription.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! I am willing to try any suggestions. :mad: The current state is unusable because when you try to perform something, it stopps responding momentarily until it calms down, which is too late because it has already gone to 3 different menus and changed settings.

Thanks,
    Jared

2. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    It's possible that you have something interfering with the IR. Check for any remotes with a stuck button (stuck in a couch cushion, stuck in a storage box with the lid resting on a button) or any other IR device in the room (wireless game controllers, etc). I've even heard of recently replaced lightbulbs (mostly halogen) causing IR oddities.

If you can't find anything that might cause interference, I suggest restarting the unit with something blocking the IR sensor (a large book is good). After startup, slide the remote in behind the book (still trying to block out interference) and see if you can control the unit.

Just to cover all the bases, you might as well try this old step as well (it doesn't help in too many situations, so it's a bit of a reach):
    Reverse the position/polarity of the remote's batteries (I'm assuming you've already replaced them with fresh ones), press a few buttons, then return the batteries to their normal polarity.

I'm also concerned that you only have SW 7.1, as all Series2 units should now be running 7.2.1. If you can confirm that you only have 7.1, send me a private message with your 15-digit TSN and I'll see why it hasn't upgraded.

3. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    You were correct. There was a DVD remote with the button stuck causing the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

As to the reason my software is not updated. I have not been able to get the wireless working. It used to work fine, but now it won't grab an IP address? My laptops all work fine wirelessly and I have tried doing everything to get it working. I have also tried setting the IP address manually but it won't work. It gets an IP address of 169.254.239.146 which I assume is a randomly generated IP for Tivo to Tivo networking without a router. Any help to getting my wireless connected would be great.

Jared