Tivo keeps losing Desktop connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Seule, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1 of 10
    Seule

Seule New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    I have a S2 Tivo, lifetime. I've had it for years with few problems.
    I had to switch to the Beacon service to get Tivo Desktop to actually connect (Win7), but with that it was working fine, everything wirelessly, for years.
    This week I replaced my wireless router with a D-Link DIR-651. I've got every device connected properly to it, computer and Tivo, with no other problems, but the Tivo keeps losing connection to the Desktop (or vice versa).
    When I reboot the Tivo it finds the computer no problem for a short while, but next time I check (~0.5 hrs later) it's not there any more.
    Opening Tivo Desktop everything looks initially fine, but opening 'Pick Recordings to Transfer' yields a timeout and 'There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR'.
    Rebooting the Tivo, it connects again fine, for a short while.
    Tivo is static IP, it finds the internet just fine, and updates.
    Switching to Bonjour leads to no desktop connection at all.
    All relevant services are allowed by the Windows Firewall.
    Can anyone suggest anything else that I can try? Having to reboot the Tivo after every program is simply not sustainable.

--Seule

2. Feb 4, 2012 #2 of 10
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    How is the Tivo connected to the network? Is it a Tivo wireless dongle, wired ethernet, wireless bridge, ??? If you can, try a hard-wired ethernet connection from the Tivo to your new router to see if the problem persists. Another thing to try is to set a different static IP on the Tivo. You might log into your wireless router and see what IP address ranges are set and see if there is a short timeout on the IP lease. My preferred method for Tivo connections is via wireless bridges (old Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware). It looks like a hard-wired ethernet connection to the Tivo.

3. Feb 4, 2012 #3 of 10
    Seule

Seule New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    The Tivo has an official wireless dongle, it has never given troubles before. It's just with this new router.
    The router is a floor away from both Tivo and computer, neither can be easily connected by cable.
    The address I set on the Tivo is 192.168.0.10, the router is giving out addresses in the 0.100+ range, with a 24-hour expiry.

I've also tried setting the Tivo IP dynamic, then reserving the address to it on the router (same with every other device).

--Seule

4. Feb 4, 2012 #4 of 10
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This used to happen to me all the time. My solution was to dump Tivo Desktop and use PyTivo. It works better and I have had very few issues.

5. Feb 4, 2012 #5 of 10
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    This is known to happen with pyTivo too, though, on WiFi networks. I even saw it once myself.

6. Feb 4, 2012 #6 of 10
    harric

harric New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I had the same issue with the new router I bought (Netgear). After 3-4 days of not getting it to work, I returned the router and purchased a belkin router. Both routers were N, dual band, gigabit. I have ethernet wireless adapters ( netgear vs tivo brand) on 2 tivos. 1 powerline, and 1 hard line. No more issues with the Belkin dual band N router

7. Feb 4, 2012 #7 of 10
    Seule

Seule New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Weirdly, my old router was a Belkin, and it worked fine.

--Seule

8. Feb 5, 2012 #8 of 10
    TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I'll go along with @lillevig on this. Set static IP's for any TiVo boxes you have. I used to have the same problem and still get it occasionally, but it is very rare now since I've set the static IP addresses. When I do encounter this, I power off my computer, reboot the TiVo, then restart the computer when the TiVo is up and running. This let's all connections happen automatically. But I almost never have to do that.

9. Feb 5, 2012 #9 of 10
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I like using older Linksys WRT54G routers and loading them with DD-WRT firmware so they can be used as bridges and repeaters. My Tivos love them. I also have a WAP3205 that I have used in bridge mode on the Tivos but, for some reason my ethernet security camera doesn't like it. For what it's worth, I haven't heard anyone on here who claims that Tivos transfer faster with N than G. The Tivo is the limiting factor in transfer rates.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I change my Tivo Desktop preferences and server preferences to put the "My Tivo Recordings" folder and the "Cache" folder in their own fairly large ntfs partition.

In the "My TiVo Recordings" folder I have shortcuts to folders on separate drives where I move the shows after transferring them to the MTR folder.

That way, if necessary, it's relatively easy to completely uninstall TiVo Desktop, including running Desktop Cleaner, and then re-install.

Of course, it could be that whatever benefit there is to doing an un-install and re-install is due solely to wiping out all the accumulated files in Desktop's Cache folder.