TiVo Kaput, what now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lampei, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 10
    Lampei

Lampei New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    My TiVo has gone kaput :( (I think it may have been a power surge) and I have a lifetime subscription on the box. Does anyone know if TiVo would allow me to switch the subscription to a new box (I own a Sony SVR-2000, but would probably end up purchasing a Series 2 of some sort).
    Thanks.

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 10
    funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You basically have two options. Have Sony repair the unit ($150 and up) or sell it off as is on eBay and buy a new unit. Lifetime subs stay with unit and are not transferrable to another unit unless a lifetime unit is replaced by the manufacturer.

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 10
    simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    Your third option is to try and fix the TiVo yourself. If it's the harddrive, that's a pretty easy fix. If it's the power supply, Weaknees can sell you a replacement and instructions for installation.

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 10
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Please explain kaput to us.

Did it explode ?

Catch on fire ?

Does it do anything when you plug it in ?

Does it start up but get stuck at the - almost there - screen ?

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 10
    Lampei

Lampei New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Nope, no lights, nothing, no hd noise. Pretty sure something's fried in there.

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 10
    MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas
    I had a TiVo die on me back in the summer. I had purchased this in 2003 with a Lifetime subscription. I called TiVo and they said to fill out a TiVo Exchange Form which I sent to their RMA center with the broken TiVo and a few days later I got a refurb TiVo at a cost of $79. Doing it this way keeps your Lifetime service intact.

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 10
    Lampei

Lampei New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Cool. Thanks.

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 10
    funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Don't think Tivo will do this for a Sony or Philips unit, only their own. Let us know though if wrong.

9. punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    If you get no lights what so ever and the hard drive is not spinning up and the rear fan is not on. It must be the power supply. However, the power supply does have a fuse in it and this may well be blown, espescially if it was a quick power surge. Take the cover off the unit and check this fuse. (unplug first of course). This fuse could be purchased at Radio Shack for next to nothing. If the fuse is good more than likely the supply is fried. You could always test at the spare hard drive power cable with a volt meter. (plug back in of course) and be careful with the power.

10. Lampei

Lampei New Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    I may end up just waiting until the S3 comes out and see if TiVo will have a transfer policy again like they did for the S2.