TiVo: Just Say No to Old Set-Top Sales

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ghuido, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1 of 11
    ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
  2. Feb 9, 2012 #2 of 11
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Is that worded incorrectly? Don't they mean a waiver to sell them _without_ integrated security?

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    It's worded correctly. All cable boxes are now required to use separable security in the form of CableCARD. There is a ban against any new boxes with integrated security.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Didn't that go into effect a few years ago? Or was it more recent?

5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    The integration ban went into effect in 2007. This company wants to take boxes produced without separable security before then, refurbish them, and resell them to customers of certain cable companies in cooperation with those companies.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I really like the part further down the page where TWC says they don't allow "...access to TV Everywhere apps on the Roku for now because it can't guarantee a "flawless experience" on the device."

I've never encountered anything on which they could guarantee a flawless experience, or even a less than exasperating one.

7. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    They should probably sell them in Canada then.

Our provider recently started offering cableboxes with CableCARDs in them purely because they couldn't get the integrated boxes. They used Motorola boxes, which then became PACE boxes (Motorola sold the integrated design to PACE who just builds them), and now they went with CableCARD boxes.

8. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    That's interesting. The cable industry claims that including CableCARD creates a tremendous burden on them and costs consumers millions of dollars compared to integrated security. Yet the difference is evidently not so great that Motorola can justify building non-cableCARD boxes for Canada.

9. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, Canada's a tiny market (we're 1/10th the population of the US, after all). I'm sure Motorola would rather make money building way more CableCARD boxes for the US market even though "they cost more" than to continue building integrated boxes for a tiny market that's probably only going to buy a million or two tops.

Make it up in volume. It's why they sold the design to PACE who built the boxes for a couple of years.

Though, our provider has found one neat benefit - they can offer Arris "gateway" boxes. Wonder what the UI is on them - given we're losing all but basic analog cable, my TiVo's won't be used much anymore :(. Back to crappy UIs.

Well, except my Series 2 DT. That thing will see new life!

10. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    ... Except for "Digital Tuning Adapters" which cable providers can provide for free to customers on their lower tiers when they convert those channels to only digital. They got a waiver from the separable security rule for these devices, which don't have a menu and don't provide access to premium or on-demand channels. These devices are so dumb that they only provide an RF (channel 3-4) output.

11. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Good point, that's true. That, and whatever else various cable companies can push through waivers for.