Tivo just lost my business

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timetrips, Nov 19, 2017.

1. timetrips

timetrips New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I've been a customer for 15 years, I've owned at least 8 Tivo's starting with the series two. Exactly three years ago + two weeks I purchased a top of the line Roamio and three mini's with lifetime service. I spent about $1500. Today I get a message on my TV that HDMI is not supported. That was a real surprise since it was working last night. Called support and after a hour of trouble shooting they say we have to replace the Raomio. Ok, stuff happens, but then I get the bill, $400+, which includes replacement box fee and new lifetime service. I'm thinking why did I buy a warranty and a lifetime service that basically cost 4 years of service at the normal price. I would expect good customer service to evaluate the situation, offer to sell me an extension on my warranty (it did expire, but less than two weeks ago), replace the box and transfer the life time service. No, that is not possible, best deal they can waive the replacement fee (ok, not bad) and sell me another lifetime service for $200 (not a horrible price), but the new box doesn't come with any warranty, so if it goes out in a month, I'm on the hook for another $400. Not going to happen. The min's still work, just not the main HDMI port (so I'll switch to component for now, and am looking into a replacement from my cable company). What is really sad, but I'm glad for the experience now, is I was planning a replacement for two of my older TIVO's (HD's) with two Bolts for Xmas. Not now. I'm done with Tivo. While I like the product, it is just too expensive to own.

2. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    No easy answer on which way to go. Last time I checked the cheapest DVR at my cable co. was $20 a month plus some weird "digital equipment" fee. By the time I subtracted what I was paying for the Tivo's cable card it ended up being over $200 a year.

3. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    Please post how much money your cable company will cost you.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Did trouble shooting include, a different hdmi cable, second hdmi port on tv, trying a different tv, etc?

Get a mini and just use the tivo on componet to access settings. Hook up the new mini to the same tv using hdmi. That's what I would do. Seems like the cheapest option.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So they give you a free replacement box 2 weeks after your 3 year warranty is up and give you a discount on lifetime service for $200 and you have an issue with no warranty on the replacement? You are going to spend far more than that to replicate the experience with cable company DVR's if you have 3 TiVo's and 3 Mini's as the others have mentioned (Also not sure why you would replace 2 HD's with 2 Bolts. Maybe 1 Bolt and then a Mini. Note they are having a white sale this week as well).

Scott

6. timetrips

timetrips New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I have Spectrum, and a whole home DVR is $20 per month. They use a motorola set top box which is way inferior to tivo, but if the equipment breaks they replace it (free), the service is included in my monthly bill. So price is relative, but compared to replacing all my current equipment again, it is cost effective. I have two Roku's and two Amazon Fire devices and use those to run all the apps (Netflix, Hulu, etc), so do I really need Tivo? I like the Tivo, but again I think it has gotten to expensive. I'm even considering canceling my cable entirely and just have internet with Roku and channel apps for ABC, CBS, NBC, USA and Hallmark, all of which would cost only $30 a month total rather than the $150 I pay for cable and internet (internet only is $80). I'm going to write down all my channels and check prices and I think it is getting close for Internet only plus the channel apps for only the channels I really use. Of course I already pay for HBO Now, Hulu and Netflix (on top of my $150 cable bill).

I'm not bad mouthing the TIVO product, it really is a premium product, but just to expensive for me, on top of a bad custom service experience (not the operators fault, just bad policy from my stand point).

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    or even a reboot or making sure the hdmi cable did not get hit and it's not tight in the tivo

8. timetrips

timetrips New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Yep, went through all those trouble shooting steps. I intend to simply use the component video for now. My heartburn is the policy, I could see paying the $149 for a replacement box if the service I already paid for (lifetime is what is called) transfered. If I was choosing to replace the box I can see that I need to buy the service again, but the box failed due to TIVO problem, not my problem. But why would I pay for service and replacement on a box that has no warranty, next month I could be replacing it again!

9. timetrips

timetrips New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Yes, I do have an issue with it. I'd have paid the $200 if I had some guarantee that the new box would last more than 30 days.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    This is a major change from the past. Replacement DVRs used to have a 90 day warranty and I believe you could buy an extended warranty for them also. I would double check this.

Regarding the replacement cost, you said the DVR was $20 - how about the STBs for the other TVs? I am guessing your Spectrum bill will go up over $50/mo if you add a DVR and 3 STBs.

Are any of the 4 TVs you have only lightly used? or still an old CRT? Moving the Roamio to someplace where using analog outputs doesn't matter much would be free and you wouldn't need to do anything any time soon.

11. timetrips

timetrips New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Actually I have 8 TV's in the house (large extended family in single family house, including my mother, daughter and grandson, wife and two nephews), everybody has their own TV plus two common areas. I have three Tivo boxes and three mini's, the other two Tv's use Roku (which replace my amazon fire tv's). I can move the Roamio to not connected to a tv and buy another mini to still use it, but my heartburn is that after spending nearly $1,000 for the Roamio only three years ago for it to go out and needing to spend $400 to fix their bad equipment.

12. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    In the past, paid service also transferred free to replacement TiVo boxes. I have been out of the standalone TiVo market for many years so have not followed the details closely.

13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If replaced in warranty that was true for lifetime, but not out of warranty from what I recall (I've never had to replace one in 17 years so no personal experience).

Scott

14. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    So to summarize, HDMI broke, cost too much to replace, decided to use component instead, won't buy another TiVo.

OP, if you ever buy a TiVo again, you might consider monthly. It comes with Continual Care Warranty. It'll be the same pay model as the cable company, except TiVo charges $50 to replace equipment that is on monthly where cable company is free.

kpeters59 and chiguy50 like this.
  15. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You said they agreed to $200 though after you called them back?

Scott

16. timetrips

timetrips New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    That isn't too bad. I'd be willing to switch to that, why can't they just offer me the $50 replacement and monthly service which then includes warranty. Which is much better than my paying the $50 replacement fee (which they offered) and $200 service fee, which is not a very good deal if replacement (which is always a refurbished box) breaks down in month or two.

17. timetrips

timetrips New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Sorry, you are correct, they down graded the replacement fee to $49 and $199 for service. Not sure now if they waived the replacement fee entirely (they might have) but it was lack of warranty that bothered me, I could easily be throwing away $200 if the new box went bad in a month or so.

18. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Honestly, I would have no problems with the refurbs. I have quite a few of them and never had an issue. Running a refurb Roamio Pro right now. You might have bad luck with TiVo though and that could skew expectations.

The refurb Roamio Pro cost $499 with lifetime when they had their last sale, so at $250 or $200 they are giving you some discount.

I would probably wait 2 days though and see what TiVo has for their Black Friday "White" sale that was pre-announced with no details yet.

chiguy50 likes this.
  19. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida
    How far up the ladder did you go with their putrid clueless offshored support? Those idiots were about to tell me my Premiere needed replacement because they had absolutely no clue how these boxes work, and absolutely no way of knowing what current known software bugs are in existence.

20. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Couldn't you just pick up an extended warranty with Square Trade or similar, just saying...