Tivo just got some real OTA competition - new Channel Master with Vudu

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Aero 1, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...dvr-records-ota-streams-vudu-but-not-netflix/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some better specs than tivo from the top of my head, VUDU, built in wireless, bigger drive, clear QAM support, social networking features, picasa, flikr, and a clock for those that have been complaining about it

more specs and pics here: http://www.channelmaster.com/Channel_Master_TV_s/304.htm

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you call this real competition then you have no idea what a TiVo DVR is. Oh and by the way it doesn't have a bigger hard drive

I'll take the Premiere for $100 more any day.

3. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    $400? :thumbsdown:

4. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    relax nancy. see if you neighbors grandma who wants to buy a DVR for her rabbit ears is going to buy a $600 tivo that requires her to make an online account and constant internet connection for guide data or a $400 DVR thats just plug and play and gets guide data OTA?

you obviously dont know the consumer market.

the web features on both units is just extra sauce for a small percentage of the market.

i must of been thinking of the tivo hd drive then.

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Looks like a really crappy version of a Tivo to me. That would be fine if it was like $100. This is basically what most people THINK a Tivo is, a VCR with a hard drive. Tivo is definitely worth the extra $200.

6. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    If they offered it free with the Channel Master antenna and free installation, maybe, I'd take them seriously.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Competition is good. However, the price point seems problematic, service seems lower than tivo or a streamer, and the name recognition is nonexistent. How many tuners does it have? It has a 1985 style of programming?

Not quite the level of competition to keep things moving, in my opinion.

8. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If all they want is a dumb DVR then the existing channel master works just fine for less money. Also if you get good guide data or not depends on where you are.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So a box with 21st century hardware that works like a 20th century recording device.
    And on top of that there is a very small recording capcaity. Can you at least transfer the OTA recordings to a PC for extra storage? Like you can with a TiVo.

10. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You can not with the current channel master OTA DVR - but I believe you could add USB drives that were used for storage so you could swap them out when full. The current DVR is ok for a low cost simple OTA solution. This one costs about $100 more and appears to only add streaming media not more advanced DVR features.

11. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Price this at <$400, with analog cable and QAM (with mapping), include OTA, and I know several people who would buy them, even without a program guide.

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    For OTA only, you need the detailed guide information, season pass and wish list search functionality that Tivo provides.

13. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    How did we ever get by without guides when we had VCR's (and yes, we did). Sure, nice to have a program guide, season passes, etc., but not entirely necessary.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Not required but it certainly sucked ten years ago when I had to manually set up each OTA HD recording I made with my HiPix cards. And I had to constantly check to make sure nothing changed with the programming each day.
    I certainly would not want to go back to that. It's much nicer being able to setup the Season Passes and not having to check the schedule for changes.

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm familiar with the old style programming, I would be able to cope.
    But it would have to have at least 2 tuners in order to handle conflicts.
    No transfers to a computer? No go.
    And I don't care about WiFi, I prefer to hard wire my devices.

Finally, the $400 price tag is an immediate turn-off. For a hundred dollars more, I could just get a Premiere w/ Lifetime and have a MUCH better DVR.

Overall rating: :rolleyes:

:)

16. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    No competition at all happening here.

I don't think that anyone who has used a Tivo for any period of time would find this close to being an acceptable substitute.

Like rolling the technology clock 10 years, and getting much less, for not that much less money.

17. rsisters

rsisters New Member

May 21, 2005
    :up: That really puts it in perspective!

18. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    It has a CLOCK!

(this seems important to some)

Do I understand correctly that all it implements is dumb vcr functionality? They're attempting to market what a S1 Tivo without subscription did back in 1999, combined with 10% of a Roku? Good luck with that.

19. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    At $150, maybe. Not at $400. Even if it does support QAM tuning. This doesn't even look as good as the Sony HDD DVRs and those are what, six years old?

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, sounds like only a single tuner. If it had 2+ tuners, I could see it being useful (even though I definitely like Tivo's "smart" programming).. But at that price? Ridiculous.