Tivo Jump/Ticks Changed...why?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by inaka, Jun 21, 2019.

1. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology here, but I noted recently that the small white tick markers that allow someone to jump ahead to the markers at 30 mins, 1hr, 1:30mins, etc. have changed.

I record a lot of baseball, and since there's no time limit to baseball games, they often go long. I simply add 3hrs to the recordings automatically, and so my recordings are 6hrs.

In the past, the small white "tick marks" that allow you to jump ahead were always every 30 mins, when I recorded a 6hr game. Now? They've been changed to a jump/skip ahead every hour.

Here's a pic of my new white tick marks on the playback bar that are only every hour:

[​IMG]

Why? Is there any way to change this back?

This ruins it for baseball. Where sometimes a game is just over 2hrs, and sometimes a game might be 5 hours. A skip that only allows a 1hr jump means, you might skip the entire game and see the score after hitting it just twice.

Argh. I hate it when they make a change to things just to change them, and it messes things up that didn't need a change in the first place. :(

If anyone knows if there's some setting or hidden code to get it back to having the skip every 30 minutes on a long broadcast, please let me know. Thanks.

2. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I always thought that the ticks followed this schedule:
    Less than 3 hours: ticks every 15 minutes
    3 hours or longer but less than 6 hours: ticks every 30 minutes
    6 hours or longer: ticks every hour

I haven't recorded anything 6 hours or longer before.

3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    mattack likes this.
  4. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    It was never like this before. I'm going to say this change happen for me within the last month or so? (Just a guess)
    It was always a tick every 30 minutes for recordings for 6hrs, as it should be.

I think based on that thread, the change was the the ticks went from every 15 minutes to every 30 minutes for longer recordings.
    I don't see anything that shows that recordings were changed to every hour. It wasn't like this a month ago when I recorded baseball + 3hrs (making a 6 hour total recording). It was always every 30 minutes, and that makes the most sense.

I mean, even for this that want it every hour, they'd just have to push the button twice. For those that want it back to every 30 minutes, we're screwed. Bummer.

5. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Just curious: Are you using TE3 or TE4? And if TE4, did you just recently switch?

6. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    This post mentions "regarding recordings that were 3 to 6 hours now having 30-minute tick mark intervals and recordings that were 6 hours or longer having 1-hour tick mark intervals".
    Possible to skip in 15 minute intervals

I haven't made any 6+ hour recordings in a long time and I don't recall the tick spacing, but it sounds like this user had the same complaint you are having, but in 2013.

I agree, why change it and reduce functionality, but I think this change was made a while ago.

7. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I just dug out a deleted 6 hour baseball recording from yesterday and the tick marks are at 30 minutes. I'm still using TE3.

inaka likes this.
  8. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    I'm using an XL4 Premiere. Same machine I've been using for ages.
    The recordings are setup from the same Wishlist I've setup for years too. Records baseball and adds 3hrs.
    It wasn't like this before.

My parents have a similar setup, and they're seeing the same thing. Definitely related to a Tivo system update because it was never like this before.
    Tick marks were always every 30 mins before. Now they're every hour.

This sucks, and it seems like such a pointless change. :(

9. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I'll set up a 6 hour recording and see what happens. I also have a Premiere. Weird that the Premiere would change.

inaka likes this.
  10. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Good info, thanks.
    I'm guessing it's definitely a tivo software related update/change? This is definitely a fairly recent change.

I'm using a Series 4 Premiere XL4 software version: 20.7.4.RC42-758-2-758

11. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    So TE3/TE4 refers to the interface--Hydra vs. traditional. FWIW, the OS version I'm running is 20.7.4.RC42.

12. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Thanks.

I'm going to force a network connection and reboot the box. Might not do anything, but hey, you never know. There's another game set to record at 7pm PST tonight that will also be 6hrs total. I'll check back as well after the reboot.

13. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'll take a look at the 6 hour recording on our Premiere XL4 (also TE3) and let you know what I see...

inaka likes this.
  14. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Thanks so much!

15. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I played the same 6 hour recording on the Premiere via streaming since there are no such recordings on the Premiere. It too is runnig 20.7.4.RC42. The tick marks are at 30 minutes.

BTW, the recording in question was created exactly as your was. Wishlist with 3 hours added.

Weird.

16. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    My parents have the exact same wishlist setup like mine on their PremiereXL4, and I called them and they too are seeing ticks every hour and not every half hour now. So it's definitely not unique to my system. :(

17. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I set up a 6 hr manual recording on Comcast Sports Net CA at 9:00 on the Premiere to see if it makes a difference. I couldn't record the A's game itself because no tuner available. I'd be surprised if the ticks aren't at 30 minutes but I'll let you know.

inaka likes this.
  18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ok, I don't have any proof, but I sure think I've seen hour tick marks in the past on very long recordings.. e.g. very long padded WSOP or Spelling Bee finals recordings.

19. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    For me, anything greater than 6 hours has tick marks every hour. A baseball game scheduled for 3 hours with 3 hours of padding (6 hours exactly) has tick marks every 30 minutes.

Premiere 20.7.4.RC42-750-2-750, which is different than yours inaka.

inaka and ClayKY like this.
  20. randyb359

randyb359 Active Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Try starting the recording a minute late. Maybe if it is only 5:59 you will get the 30 min skip marks.