Tivo Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by mdigi, Dec 6, 2016.

1. mdigi

mdigi New Member

Dec 4, 2003

Advertisements

All,

Having an issue w/ my Roamio, my HD was starting to go (was acting sluggis)h, so I opted to clone via mfstools and everything was working fine for about 3 weeks. On Thursday, my program guide stopped loading and I was getting an S03 error. Tried the standard diagnostics, reboot, try again to no avail. Called into tivo and they had me hit the pause key and hit 57 on the remote in order to send the box into the HD checker. Unfortunately the box started rebooting every minute or so and is stuck in an endless loop. TiVo is telling me that the box is dead and no way to take it out of that mode. I had run a full diag on the WD Red HD using their tool before the initial clone, so I don't think it's an HD issue.

Any ideas or should I reclone from the old source and try again?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It may have been the cloning of a bad drive.....

Try wiping the drive and put it back in the Roamio. It will be like starting over as a new Tivo.

3. mdigi

mdigi New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    I put the source back in the Roamio and it did the latest update (which i blame for screwing up my new drive) and it is connected and loading data w/ no issue. once that is completed, i'll try recloning the device. have way too many shows on there to lose.

was hoping to avoid that, but what can you do.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would copy shows to a PC prior to swapping drives.

(Yes, Roamio can handle a blank drive and prep it for use.)

5. mdigi

mdigi New Member

Dec 4, 2003

Advertisements

how specifically can you do that? kmttg can only copy over those shows w/o copy protection. Is there another method?

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Only unprotected shows can be copied.

KMTTG will copy shows to the PC, but it would need server capabilities of either Tivo Desktop (no longer supported) or PyTivo.
    You can also use a large hard drive as a backup for your shows and transfer shows to Tivo only when you need to watch them. (Tivo is not a good medium for long term storage.)

MFSTools 3.2 is the only backup tool available to Roamio.
    MFSR is an expanding tool and will not make a backup of the hard drive.

BTW, to clear Error S03....
    Settings / Help / Restart or Reset / Clear Program Information and ToDo list
    Reboot
    Settings / Network / Connect to Tivo Service Now (Reload the guide data)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  7. mdigi

mdigi New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    more and more shows are copy protected (used to be able to watch tons on planes while traveling, not so much anymore). Would be nice if tivo had the capability to backup shows to an external device (but still keep it locked to the media access key) so that in the event of a failure, you aren't screwed.

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It happens mostly on cable, and never on OTA.

9. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    If you are doing a true clone then either use ddrescue (dd-rescue, or dd) in Linux, HDD Raw Copy Tool in Windows, or a cloning dock. If you are going to copy to a larger drive use MFSTools 3.2 (max 4TB).