Tivo is watching you and selling how you use Tivo to third parties

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A-1, Apr 20, 2009.

1. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

Advertisements

Launched today Stop Watch

http://tivo.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=378

I don't like the idea of someone watching me watch TV when I fast forward, rewind, etc. What I download, and how much I watch.

If you feel the same Tell your TiVO to Opt you out by

Going to the settings option on your account, data collection privacy setting and Chose Opt out collect none.

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Hmm how strange. TiVo has been collecting this type of information since at least 2002. Even my Series 1 boxes keep these logs. Does that mean they haven't used it until now?

I'm gonna opt out right now. Thanks for the details.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Already a thread on this.

4. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I swear I searched and search did not find anything on Stop Watch or opting out of data collection, privacy settings.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

Data collected by TiVo is anonymized and available in aggregate only (i.e. "487 people in the Milwaukee/Racine DMA watched program XYZ. Of those, 283 fast forwarded through all commercials. 32 rewound and rewatched commercial for product ZYX." and so on.)

For anything else, you would have to have explicitly opted in to additional data collection.

(TiVo has 3 levels of data collection: Opt Neutral, which is the anonymous aggregate data collection described above; Opt In, which could gather your specific viewing habits; and Opt Out, which is what it sounds - no data gathering at all.)

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, and TiVo has had an agreement with Nielsen Media Research to gather ratings information for quite some time; their software is "baked into" the TiVo software. This expands the amount of information gathered, and makes it available to the general marketplace, directly from TiVo.

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I really don't have an issue with if it means the networks will finally realize that we fast forward through commercials because we don't want them. Maybe they will also start making shows we like to watch instead of most of the junk they produce.

8. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Unregistered User

Mar 1, 2008
    Newport...
    I could care less if they use my box to gather generic statistics. But how do they know if I'm watching the show, or if the box is just on and alone?

9. rvsj

rvsj Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If there are commands coming from the remote during the show they know you are there. If there are no commands coming from the remote you are either not there or have fallen asleep.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

Oh my god?!!?!?>!>!

Really?

I never heard this before.

Never.

Not once.

<ridiculously extreme sarcasm /off>

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    So I take it you are adamantly opposed to OCAP and would refuse to ever purchase a Series IV Tivo, and OCAP capable TV, or rent a CATV owned DVR? That you would never order a VOD or IPPV program, or for that matter watch an SDV program?

12. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    This is one of those great examples of a non-issue blown all out of proportion by folks exploiting a sensationalistic media.

13. bigray327

bigray327 New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Anything TiVo can do to stay in business is fine with me, as long as it's anonymous.

14. Ruger

Ruger New Member

May 24, 2005
    I actually like the idea of Tivo letting my viewing habits be known. Usually shows I like are cancelled due to low ratings. At least this way, I know someone knew I was watching.

15. swizzlest

swizzlest Furry Cat Feet!

Sep 13, 2003
    OH-IO
    Realize that some people do, but couldn't care less.

Have at it, Tivo.

16. sburnside1

sburnside1 Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    They can monitor my viewing all they want. If it helps them provide better service to me, i'm all for it.

Same as Kroger can track my grocery purchases.

17. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    TiVo has been doing this since the very first ones were sold...

If you want to opt-out, call TiVo and tell them you want to opt-out - it's been that way since what, 1999? Heck, I remember someone actually audited how the TiVo data collection worked from your TiVo to what's done at TiVo's end.

Heck, haven't you wondered how they got those "the X ad was the most popular ad watched during the superbowl" type statistics? From DVR users - they can tell which ads were replayed over and over and over again, etc.

Anyhow, about the only way to be "anonymous" in your TV viewing is to use analog cable (and even then, a technician can hook up a monitor and get a reasonably good guess as to what channels you're watching, but they literally have to be outside your door). Digital cable boxes, HD boxes, DVRs etc., all report back to the mothership.

18. argicida

argicida Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    DirecTivo with the phone unplugged is another way. I'm pretty darn sure those dishes are one way.

19. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    <ridiculously extreme sarcasm /on>

If you use the "<ridiculously extreme sarcasm /off>" tag don't you have to first turn it on or else you get a compile error?

<ridiculously extreme sarcasm /off>

:D

20. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    can you even buy a new directivo anymore?