TiVo is only now getting that the seriesId confusion is a data ingestion problem

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by sinanju, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Apr 4, 2017 #1 of 62
    sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with TiVo Executive Customer Relations for the umpteenth time and stepped through a current example of the Modern Family/Expanse/Magicians problem. We read the seriesIds together and I got the guy to acknowledge that TiVo doesn't have a series of one-off lineup issues -- they have a data ingestion problem.

I'm getting a call back on Thursday with a progress report... If anyone has lineup reports for other shows with the same problem, you can post the IDs here in case more data is useful. I know The Middle is another example.

MHunter1, cwerdna, tim1724 and 11 others like this.
  2. Apr 4, 2017 #2 of 62
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Thanks for your effort on this. Much appreciated.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2017 #3 of 62
    leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    Thank you. This is interesting.

4. Apr 4, 2017 #4 of 62
    bigguy126

bigguy126 Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Where do you find the series id?

5. Apr 4, 2017 #5 of 62
    sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005

Advertisements

kmttg

6. Apr 4, 2017 #6 of 62
    satpro

satpro Member

Jan 9, 2004
    The Amazing Race might be another example since now they are calling it The Amazing Race 29 breaking the old season pass.

wish_bgr and krkaufman like this.
  7. Apr 4, 2017 #7 of 62
    headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Nashville on CMT also had this seriesID problem on a weekly basis. I had to call/tweet/email at least five different times about that show as well.

sinaju, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to make this issue known to the higher ups. Clearly the data managers still have not gotten to the root of the problem.

8. Apr 4, 2017 #8 of 62
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Good work. The symptoms make sense in this light.

9. Apr 4, 2017 #9 of 62
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Good grief. Sinaju, TiVo should give you free products or service for doing their job for them.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And so, does that mean, as I thought could be the case, that TiVo/Rovi is getting bad data from the outside?

By the way, as others have noted, you are a prince/princess (in a good way). ;)

11. jasonander

jasonander Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Thank you, I've been tweeting @TivoSupport about the various guide/series issues and they've been absolutely useless. They treat me like an idiot and tell me to create a new OnePass each time. It's sad.

12. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    They need somebody writing code (SQL etc) that looks for errors each night. For example, impossible first aired dates, a listing for this mornings (4/5/2017 5am) KCET "Death in Paradise" says it is first aired 4/6/2017. If it is on today, it can't be first aired tomorrow.

Then figure out how it happened. Then write code to prevent it from happening. Once the code is done, its done.

They need to do quality assurance of the data.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  13. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    No. I think they are mishandling the data that they get. The open switch in the diagnosis is whether the "new" seriesIds that are assigned to shows are (1) brand new seriesIds or (2) seriesIds from similarly named shows. I think #2 is a possibility based on the confusion that was causing Vikings to fail during its previous season, which was obviously name confusion. It would also tend to explain why it happens so frequently with shows like Expanse and Magicians and not others.

14. bigguy126

bigguy126 Member

Sep 4, 2007
    2 more data points that may not be series id problems but are reoccurring none the less.
    Bar Rescue - spike tv sun night was a new episode. 1p did not pick it up but was missing description but showed as "new" with a original air date of Sun.
    Showtime sat night 9pm. First airing of movie "Mothers day" guide showed "Showtime programming" just for that 2 hour block. I forced a update Sat eve and it did fill in but with no description or any other info but the title.

BTW, Thanks for taking the time to do this!! We all appreciate it.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Is this what sometimes causes issues with people? With Modern Family two of my TiVos are scheduled to record form the 1P while one isn't. With the Magicians I have not had any issue with that show yet.

What I don't understand is why I have not had every box affected.

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Ah. So Rovi is the one assigning the seriesIds rather than its data source doing so?

17. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I honestly don't know. I would think so, though, since it would be awfully odd for ABC to suddenly change Modern Family's seriesId mid-season.

18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I thought that seriesids were created by gracenote and Rovi separately. That was a bit issue with the transition.

19. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That is the case. It is Rovi/TiVo that is screwing up.

As to whether or not TiVo recognizes what the real problem is, if so, based on this, they sure as heck haven't communicated that fact to their CSRs.

20. jasonander

jasonander Member

Jan 9, 2005
    If you want more examples of messed up series - this happened a while ago with "Once Upon a Time". Tivo/Rovi never fixed it - so you were screwed with the old OnePass and had to create a new one. Somehow they changed the old OnePass to be for the show in Spanish. They also messed up with "Shameless" for a week or two when the latest season started - they used the wrong series ID from the UK instead of the US one. That one eventually got fixed. And it's been mentioned before, but "The Amazing Race" OnePass didn't pickup the latest season of the show, which was identified as "The Amazing Race 29" instead.

cwerdna and tim1724 like this.