TiVo is now offering an extended warranty

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lessd, Oct 30, 2009.

1. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

I just noticed that TiVo is now offering a 2 year (for $30 ) and a three year ($10 more) for all new TiVos as an add on to any new service plan. Not a bad price at $10/year.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Interesting. Does it apply to any new box, or do you have to buy it from Tivo?

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I would guess its any new box but I don't see how they would not sell the warranty to any new activation as its now an option with your new activation, I don't know if the web sight checks if the unit had ever been activated before on this warranty offer.

4. foamy909

foamy909 Member

Mar 29, 2005
    It looks like you can add it to any box, not just one purchased at Tivo.com. I purchased an HD XL from Amazon back in September, and when I log into my account, it states I can add the extended warranty up to 90 days after purchase. It appears that you have to call to do so, and I can't find the price structure listed.

I had considered a third-party extended warranty prior to purchase, but when I found out that they do not replace the box but instead refund the purchase price, I did not think it was worth it. If you bought the warranty from Tivo, I would have to assume that there would not be any Lifetime Transfer fee if it needed to be replaced. If they confirm that is the case, I think I will add it while I still can.

5. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region

Advertisements

I would think that would make it *more* worth it. Prices come down almost universally on consumer electronics. If it failed after a few years and they refunded your money you could replace it and possibly pocket some cash.

6. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I guess this explains the $150 service transfer fee. It should help encourage people to go for the reasonably-priced extended warranty.

I'm not a big fan of extended warranties in general, but I could see this being very attractive to people who don't want to open their Tivos to replace failed drives.

7. drey

drey New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Offer for an extended warranty applies only to new or never activated units. It doesn't really matter where you get the unit from.

8. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

9. Nov 1, 2009 #9 of 59
    drey

drey New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Interesting. I have several newer TiVos (652-0101-xxx) and several older units (652-0001-xxx). I have an offer for an extended warranty only on newer units, but not on the older ones. So I guess who knows, maybe they go by the manufacture date.

10. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I don't see it on mine. I replaced 3 S2's with HD's earlier this year, but used existing MSD accounts, so they date back a few years. I notice that the service date stays with its original start. Could that be why I don't see it, or does someone know the date cut-off?

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I don't see it either. Between family, friends, and neighbors I have something like 10 TiVo's on my account, but all have service plans dated earlier than 2006.

It looks like a very nice plan, and much cheaper than these things normally are. I'm not sure I personally would get it with a TiVoHD since I'm fine with replacing my own disks, but it would have been handy to have with the original introduction of the TiVo S3 - that model had considerably more non-hard-disk failures for quite a while.

12. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't know the cutoff date. I was offered the warranty with a unit that I activated with the past 90 days but wasn't offered it with a unit I activated 2 1/2 years ago. Maybe it's being offered to units still under warranty?

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think this extended warranty is only for new units. I would think this also applies to units that have never been activated.
    As far as Tivo is concerned, I would think a unit that has never been activated should also be considered as "new", even if it was bought 6 months ago.

14. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I just tested out that theory and you are correct, even if the TiVo is 3 years old and never been activated the extended warranty is available on their web sight.

15. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    That's a decent price for extended warranty but I'm sure it doesn't allow owner upgrades to disk space so it would not be attractive to me.

16. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I'm stretching a little here, but there may be something good for everyone because of this new offering by TiVo.

Sometimes a software update breaks various aspects of TiVo functionality, e.g. causes flakiness, frequent reboots, etc. When this happens to TiVos that are out of warranty, the customers feel frustration but TiVo doesn't feel much pain. That's because there is an exchange fee associated with a "repair". And the "repair" usually doesn't solve the problem. It sometimes takes TiVo 6 months or more to produce a "fix" (i.e. undo what they broke).

But now when a software update breaks something, if thousands of extended warranty customers call in and demand a replacement box (at TiVo's expense), it might incentivize TiVo to prioritize determining the root cause of the issue and fix it. Yes, I know, that's wishful thinking; I said it was a "stretch".

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Just keep your original drive, if the problem is not the hard drive (not too often) than you put the original drive back in and you are good to go for the warranty exchange.
    Although I have had TiVos from 2001 on and NEVER saw a problem that was not related to the hard drive, so i guess if you are going to replace the HD anyways, the TiVo warranty may not make much sense.

18. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Our logs, which get U/L to tivo, indicate upgraded hard drives. Replacing the original hard drive doesn't change that fact. Warranty is void once you open your tivo. The extended warranty only covers issues that would have been covered under the original warranty.

At least one poster was denied warranty service and at least one poster was even denied out of warranty service.

People who upgrade their tivo should assume they're on their own for service.

19. mellenfan

mellenfan New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tivo-Pro offers extended warranties on his upgraded Tivo's.

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    TiVo will indeed know if the drive has ever been upgraded - if they go look in the logs - but one or two people out of this whole forum having coverage issue say extenuating circumstances to me versus some specific enforced policy by TiVo. The caveat is always upgrade at your own risk but TiVo likes to keep the ability to upgrade in the plus column for those deciding which way to go. I would not view the warning as a sure thing.

for 5 or 10 bucks I would get the warranty, but would still just replace hard drives myself anyway since very likely the original drive was sitting on a shelf and in good shape anyway. :D