TiVo is dead with new Hydra

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mattsaab, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Mattsaab

Mattsaab New Member

Sep 10, 2018

Advertisements

I have loved TiVo since the beginning. I’ve had 5 models and have loved the intuitive, clean and fast UI that has become TiVo’s brand. But the new Hydra UI is anything but TiVo. It is a diasaster! It is convoluted and overdeaigned. Remember who you are and why people embraced you, TiVo - simplicity, straightforward design and organization. You’ve lost your way, and like “new coke” or “the Oscar for popular film” - you need to correct it fast. We will forgive you.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. JonMcL

JonMcL New Member

Aug 6, 2004
    I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer the new Hydra UI. Once I got used to how the show lists now work.

I find it a more modern design. The old UI started to feel very outdated to me.

My only complaint is that suggestions seems to be seriously bugged. My Roamio was only recording MSNBC and NBC news items. A search on here seems to indicate that I am not the only one. If they fix the suggestions, I will be happy.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I had originally suggested people on the fence wait a year before switching to Hydra. I thought I was being generous but from what I'm hearing (and shouldn't be surprised about) it may have to be 2 years. Tivo development is just too chronically slow.

samccfl99 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004

Advertisements

Another Hydra hate thread ? Put it with the other ones.. Moving on..

tim1724, blackngold75, jrtroo and 4 others like this.
  6. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    If someone wants to move, they would, and not waste their time posting that they've moved on, no?

7. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, but title is misleading. Sounds like Hydra update made box stop working, hence a possibly plea for technical help getting it running again. So I was click-baited into this thread and agree 100% with tenthplanet - put it with the other ones.

tim1724, aristoBrat, cwerdna and 2 others like this.
  8. Rey

Rey Active Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Florida
    I prefer it as well but to me it does indeed need some more work.

9. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Wow first post not forgiving....I also have loved TiVo for years. Was I thrilled with Hydra?? I certainly got used to it. And not a deal breaker. I have been using it since my update months ago and have zero complaints since I do not use the suggestions. Your watching TV, which is brainless to begin with. Don't take it personally. Lol....and still the best DVR out there.

10. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    ...So your TiVo isn't actually "dead?"

11. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Again, it's amazing how Tivo, Inc Totally Whipped many of you Hydra Lovers into Submission without even an update regarding things in over 3 months or so. I have seen many complaints. Many are probably stuck with it because they only have one host or care about losing their recordings if they rollback.

This whole forum is dead really, nothing new to talk about. Oh well.

12. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    If you folks went on other "TV" supplier forums you'd find similar threads. It seems as if everyone's new release is disliked by many,many users. Same thing with just normal web sites - whomever has come up with new design models just isn't doing what people want.

13. rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    A lot of people just do not deal well with change, I can remember when the transition from rotary dial phones started the switch to push button, many people just couldn't understand why that was needed.

I have been running Hydra on my Bolt since the first day it was available to upgrade and after a couple of days adjusting to the new UI i wouldn't even consider going back to the old UI.

Balzer and Paul Coco like this.