TiVO is Closing the Doors!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tommiet, Oct 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 7, 2020 #1 of 20
    tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005

Advertisements

Just kidding....

Things have been dead here lately... Wanted to see if anyone would get a little excited.....

:);):D:eek::rolleyes:o_O:tongueout::tonguewink::grinning::grin::hearteyecat:

tenthplanet and bluecruiser like this.
  2. Oct 7, 2020 #2 of 20
    TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    Yeah, not funny.

3. Oct 7, 2020 #3 of 20
    dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Reminds me I need to sell my Roamio Pro, the last of my DVR hardware.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

austinsho likes this.
  4. Oct 7, 2020 #4 of 20
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Very not funny.

But remember that the forum was reorganized a while back, so this forum is no longer the first. The H/W specific forums have increased their activity, which was the goal. The Help forum is still active, but not as much. Yes, it does seem that post frequency has moved down. There's some decent alternatives out there, the guide and support keeps getting worse, and the whole "DVR" thing is fading as streaming is becoming more the choice of those with above average technical ability. I can't see the future, but I think "TiVo" will not be a verb for much longer.

Don't get me wrong. I still use three Roamio, TE3 and TE4, every day. I have zero OTA ability. My streaming is 90% Pandora on my Roku with YouTube for shorts making up the rest.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    kclfoxtrot and TishTash like this.
  5. Oct 7, 2020 #5 of 20
    TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY

Advertisements

I always wanted to ask: Who the heck’s buying?

6. Oct 7, 2020 #6 of 20
    dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Not everyone is all about streaming apps, not switching inputs and blah blah blah. There are plenty that are still locked to cable with no plans to change anytime soon. Honestly, when I was doing cable with premiums on deals, I would just go through the premium channels and record every movie I was remotely interested in. Much of which wasn't available on prime or Netflix unless you paid on prime. Hence my Pro still has good 80 to 100 or so movies on it. Some of which I still can't get. But I'll deal as I'd rather declutter as much as possible.

wizwor likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2020 #7 of 20
    TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    Ah, so you’re selling content vs just hardware....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  8. Oct 7, 2020 #8 of 20
    dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    God no. I'd reset before selling it. Don't think I'd ever sell something still attached to my account. Wonder if it'd be worth more with all those flicks on it. Never even thought about that.

9. Oct 7, 2020 #9 of 20
    TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    I believe that an account-less TiVo would still list basic info about the programs, and play them. I have Roamios no longer attached to my account, and they playback fine.

10. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Suppose one could not wipe it and go through the guided setup with the new cable card. I know I've repeated the guided setup without losing anything. Guessing you could pop in a new cable card and go through the guided setup without wiping. Might have to give this more thought.

11. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I wish Tivo would open up an API to allow for open source guide updates. At least for the All In / Lifetime people. I know it not happen.

JandS and TishTash like this.
  12. TishTash

TishTash Active Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Merrick, NY
    You could possibly get a nice premium given it’s a “furnished” unit.

13. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Now I have to set aside time to write down everything that's on there.

TishTash likes this.
  14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Considering they're now owned by a guide data company that's NEVER going to happen. TiVo does have an API for you to use their data on other devices though.

15. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Dude I know I drove by Tivo store in North Woodland Hills across from Del Taco, and the Tivo store was empty :eek::eek::D

16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Got rid of my last Tivo over ten years ago (a series 3). I had one of the very first models when they were first introduced and learned how to upgrade the hard drive using Dylan's Boot Disc. I think I still have a TurboNet ethernet card around here somewhere. I loved them in the time I owned them, mainly because you could tinker with them back then and hack them to do lots of fun stuff. Then Tivo took the fun out of it and started including the hacks as standard options. I bought a 4-tuner cablecard tuner from Ceton and loaded up Windows 7 on a HTPC and never looked back. Now I use Channels DVR on a Windows 10 HTPC along with a HDHomeRun Prime and Quatro tuners and use my Nvidia Shields for playback and streaming. I still use my Win 7 HTPC for DRM content. Got a 168 TB server running unRAID with more movies and TV shows than I'll ever watch in my lifetime. I use Intel 1st generation NUCs with WMC on every TV in my house. I use Kodi and Plex for streaming content from the server as well as JRiver Media Center for 4k content.

17. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    You mean I'm out of a job??? Damn and I was just getting started.;):):cool:

18. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    This is not OK. With all the problems TiVo is having, the last thing this community needs is someone inciting panic. Please change the title or delete the thread so people are not alarmed -- even if momentarily.

TishTash, unclehonkey and DigitalDawn like this.
  19. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I agree

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You're probably right, I'm going to close this

tim1724, V7Goose, unclehonkey and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.