Tivo is allowing online cancelation

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by schatham, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Jul 1, 2019 #1 of 13
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007

Advertisements

See title.

2. Jul 1, 2019 #2 of 13
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I see no reason why they shouldn't. It's cheaper to let people cancel online than hire more phone techs in India to do it. And if they want to offer you a special lifetime offer on the spot, they can just do it with a pop-up window.

3. Jul 1, 2019 #3 of 13
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Their customer retention department must not be profitable anymore, or maybe they have found that only those who lack the skills or the patience to cancel on line have any chance of being retained as a customer.

4. Jul 1, 2019 #4 of 13
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And your "My Account" page on TiVo.com.

Seems odd (though not surprising) that they'd include a 'Cancel service' link for All-In/Lifetime service plans.

upload_2019-7-1_13-2-45.png

p.s. Maybe the 'Cancel service' link has some legitimate purpose for a Lifetime box, such as requesting an account transfer, but I'm not going anywhere near it.

sender_name likes this.
  5. Jul 1, 2019 #5 of 13
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

It's been there for months. But I never tried it to see what would happen.

jrtroo and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Jul 1, 2019 #6 of 13
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    OP - Did you actually use the 'option' in any way?

I had TiVo - advanced 'OWNERS SUPPORT' trying to remove some inactive boxes to a second account for several weeks in an attempt to CLEAN my current 'ACTIVE PLS to those that I actually own. They failed miserably. I had to supply different email for the account etc.

I hadn't ever just 'clicked' to see options (never realized they functional links

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  7. Jul 1, 2019 #7 of 13
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    It cancels service. It does not remove inactive devices from your inactive list.

I did use it to test and it does cancel service. Then I re activated the box.

8. Jul 1, 2019 #8 of 13
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wish they'd offer an easy way to transfer boxes between accounts online. I have some old Minis I'd like to give to my Sister and Mom, but calling in to deal with the transfer is making me put it off.

osu1991 likes this.
  9. Jul 1, 2019 #9 of 13
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

not new it has been available for a year at least

jrtroo likes this.
  10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I bought a mini from a coworker and he was able to remove it from his account and generate a reference number online. I had to call in to activate on my account and give the reference number.

11. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I recently bought 652 from MPSAN he got transfer number after I transferred he sent mail saying I must have because was removed from his account. With all the posts I've seen about people not being able to get sold units off of their accounts (sometimes for years) no matter what they did, I thought was odd his was immediately. Maybe they have fixed it and are cleaning house getting rid of duplicates.

12. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    That is good for many. However sometimes if you call they might offer you some special deal, like $99/199 add lifetime. Depends on you box and if you might consider staying if they offered you a really great deal.

13. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    It's been said before by a few including me but sometimes it's best to create a second account. If you are going to sell/transfer a box FIRST transfer it to your second account. Then transfer it from your second account to the new owner. Sometimes "new owners" don't bother with the transfer even though you authorized it. So the box remains on your MAIN ACCOUNT. If you transfer to a secondary/hold type account at least it won't be being used on your main account if the new owner does not complete the transfer. Also keep in mind if they don't transfer your media access key will be being used on your account (assuming you have another Tivo and did not close your account completely) and in the new owners household. Which is against Tivo TOS.

Note, it is nice to have second account for possible Tivo lifetime transfer/upgrade offers also. Sometimes you might have more than one box that qualifies for the offer. But you want to use the offer on a specific box. So you would transfer the box you want to use the offer on to your second account. And then do the offer. That way they cannot deactivate the wrong box, only the one you want. Once the offer is complete just transfer the new box to your main account.

krkaufman and Mikeguy like this.