TiVo iPad/Android App : missing skip and other features.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by raghu1111, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nov 6, 2017 #1 of 15
    raghu1111

raghu1111 Member

Nov 16, 2005
    I recently upgraded to Bolt from trusty Tivo HD and I like it a lot. A lot of TV catch up has moved to iPad over the years. Now that Bolt has iPad app (Android app also works the same way), it is lot more accessible to me. The app streams very well and I especially love flick-left, flick-right shortcuts. But there are some important convenience features missing in the app compared to Bolt. I am wondering if there are more fundamental reasons than Tivo just being inept at such stuff. Please let me know if some of the following features actually exist but I haven't seen. Most prominent ones I notice:
    • 'skip' is not available. Tivo has already done all the hard work of figuring out these points why not just communicate it to the app?
    • No shortcut for 'Pause/Play'. There are shortcuts for skip back and skip forward. But there is no shortcut for play/pause. You need to tap on the screen and tap on small '||' target in the corner carefully.
    • No access to 'In Progress' list. This is very useful on Tivo Bolt, why not make it accessible on iPad? (edit: 'Partially watched' list).
    • Requires two taps to start watching. You need to first need to tap on 'Watch Now' and then select 'Watch on iPad'. There are already some 20 buttons on the screen, why not separate 'Watch on TV' and 'Watch on iPad' into two top level ones.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    DancnDude likes this.
  2. Nov 6, 2017 #2 of 15
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Skip missing seems to be one of the biggest blunders. With the way the stream works, and the lag involved with trick play, having skip seems like it's even more important in the app.

What's the "in progress" list? If you mean the ToDo List it's there.

The last two are good suggestions. I especially like the idea of play/pause being a guesture. Maybe tap could be play/pause and a swipe up or down could show the UI with the buttons.

DancnDude and bradleys like this.
  3. Nov 6, 2017 #3 of 15
    raghu1111

raghu1111 Member

Nov 16, 2005
    You are right. I meant 'Partially Watched' list. It is not called 'In Progress'. I don't remember seeing it on iPad.

4. Nov 6, 2017 #4 of 15
    raghu1111

raghu1111 Member

Nov 16, 2005
    To be fair to TiVo, no other streaming app seem to have figured out a gesture for play/pause.. pretty much all of them require two taps. Good ones make second tap just as easy as first tap.

5. Nov 6, 2017 #5 of 15
    generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Yeah, it's crazy that they still haven't added Skip to the app. After the first couple of flicks, playback buffers for a while and oftentimes even disconnects me from the TiVo. I've resorted to using the Slingbox most of the time, because ironically, that non-TiVo box allows me to use TiVo's Skip functionality.

6. Nov 6, 2017 #6 of 15
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    good, someone else apparently has the same problems. I _download_ (tediously) to my Tivo, because trying to stream is SO unreliable.. If I complete a download, it _usually_ is fully playable (but still has glitches in the transfer). If I try to actually stream a show, it will lose connection (and the Stream is usually rebooting, because I can catch it "Initializing" often while trying to reconnect _a few minutes later_).

I wish I had bought a sling box instead... since they apparently work..

7. Nov 6, 2017 #7 of 15
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But anyway, the missing features, I suggest you actually write these up on the Tivo web site support page..

I intend to do the same with my download/stream issues.. (I actually went to the Tivo launch event over the weekend, but when I was there, it was too packed and I had left my iPad in my car to actually try to show someone the problem there..)

8. raghu1111

raghu1111 Member

Nov 16, 2005
    One more feature (though unlikely to be added):
    • iPad should be able to receive raw Mpeg2 stream. Wireless networks these days are really fast. I get more than 160Mbps.. a Comcast channel needs just around 20Mbps.
      • Tivo Bolt compression is pretty bad. Often YouTube video of the show has way better quality than recorded show on iPad.
      • This could be an advanced option in the app.
    Overall I don't think Tivo thinks premium features like 'Skip' should be limited to Tivo Mini for sales. I am sure Mini does not make any money by itself since it doesn't have a subscription fee. It adds value to existing subscriptions. Mini has its use, but iPad and Mini address entirely different domains.

9. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I agree both streaming and download seem pretty broken. I found the download gets skips and jumps if it is a download that needed multiple resumes. I have to leave iOS app active and ensure screen doesn’t lock to get good downloads.

10. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I don't think iPad can handle MPEG2, so this isn't a TiVo app limitation.

11. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I bet SKIP is available when they release the updated apps. (I think new apps are coming with the Hydra interface, based on screenshots I've seen.)

12. raghu1111

raghu1111 Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Ah, right. Didn't think about that.
    Tivo Bolt reencoder could use some improvements (but mostly won't). For some reason it messes up colors. Colors on iPad are a little dull/pale.

13. Jrr6415sun

Jrr6415sun Member

Mar 31, 2006
    over a year later, is there still no skip button in the ipad app? I can't find it anywhere.

14. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    TiVo iPad App Does have a "Skip" button - Open the Remote Control Tab. It is the 4th button down in the rightmost column

15. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    That can only be used if you’re using the app as a remote control while watching video on a TV. If you’re streaming the video to your iPad, there’s no SKIP option.