TiVo IP address not found when searching for DVRs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jizaref1, Oct 10, 2006.

1. jizaref1

jizaref1 New Member

Oct 10, 2006

Advertisements

TiVo IP address is not found when searching for DVRs through desktop server application.

My wireless network seems up and running:
    1. TiVo Series 2 running software version 7.1
    2. Linksys WRT54G ver 6 wireless router on DHCP through Verizon DSL
    3. TiVo branded USB wireless adapter with good signal
    4. TiVo has a unique IP address that I have added to my "trusted" zone behind my Norton Internet personal firewall and windows firewall is off.
    5. When I check the IP address within internet explorer, I can see my "now playing" list and program sizes if downloaded so my network is functioning and finding my TiVo.
    6. TiVo desktop software ver 2.3 reinstalled on Windows XP desktop PC

What I *cannot* do is add the DVR to my TiVo server and have my Photos and Music available for browsing through TiVo.

What am I missing?

2. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Make sure the TiVo Server is running. There should be a little TiVo icon in your systray. Sometimes it does not start properly on boot and goes into a loop or gets an error. Verify that it is not doing this.

You need to open up two ports in your firewall software to allow the TiVo to get to those ports. Not sure what the ports are, but it is on the TiVo website help.

You need to publish the directories where your photos and music are using TiVo desktop to make them available. I believe that you have to have something in the directories to have the TiVo list the computer as a source.

3. MarkBadia

MarkBadia New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    I have the same problem but it is because my TiVo will assign itself an IP address inconsistent with the rest of my network. How I fix the problem is I go to my TiVo and go to network and phone setup and recreate the network connection. It is a pain because when it happens it drops the activities that are underway so I have lost files that have timed out while the TiVo was stuck.
    I have DHCP turned on but only the TiVo has an issues with it. I have tried a static IP address but it does not seem to want to connect to my network with a static address.

4. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    If you are running DHCP, you should not get inconsistant IP addresses unless DHCP is not being used for all addresses. If you use a static address, it should also work as long as the address is in the same network segment as defined by the IP mask. (The masks must be the same on all devices on the network segment.) Post your addresses/masks for the TiVo and your PC and we can probably tell what the problem is.

5. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003

Advertisements

This link to TiVo tells what ports need to be open on the firewall: http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2073.htm?#1

6. jizaref1

jizaref1 New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    It's working now!

Not sure which of the following things, in combination or separately, seemed to have helped. But I will list what I did in case someone has the same problem in the future.

1. I am continuing to run Norton Internet Security, but I turned off the Spyware/Adware function. Not a big deal, as I can run updated Ad Aware SE personal weekly and get rid of everything anyway. I don't know which piece of this is troublesome, but whenever I turn it on, it definitely interferes.

2. My Windows Firewall program was turned off. I restarted the firewall *functionality* but still kept the actual firewall turned off. I am using Norton as my firewall, not windows, but the background programming must be running.

3. Once I turned on windows firewall functionality, I entered the TCP/UDP 2190 port required by the TiVo Beacon and made only my TiVo box IP addresses a valid communication.

Now it works perfectly, I can play my entire iTunes library through my TV, which is routed through my stereo speakers. And I can view all digital photos as a slideshow in my living room...

Thanks for your help on this forum!

Jeff

7. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    If you did not have port 2190 open in your firewall before, that is probably what you needed.

8. MarkBadia

MarkBadia New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    The problem I have with the static IP is that the TiVo keeps asking me for a DNS address and I don't have a DNS. I have used IP address of 10.0.1.6 and submask 255.255.255.0
    I have several printers that I have setup as static and they all work fine with this scheme (of course the IP address number is different). I think it happens after some of the updates are download from TiVo. It appears that the TiVo Series II reboots and either does not get a valid id from DHCP (all my other DHCP assigned devices work fine) or it just decides to assign it's own number but it assigns different addresses each time (169.196.236.4, 196.169.255.122, ...)

9. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    It sounds like you may have set your TiVo up to download updates from the Internet rather than through the telephone line. It would need a DNS to be able to contact the TiVo servers.

The addresses you quote are ones that show up when looking for a DHCP server. I assume that you have a router that has a DHCP server running since you have other devices using DHCP. Not sure why the TiVo does not see it. We would need more info about your network setup.

You can set the TiVo to a fixed IP as long as the IP you set is on the same subnet as the rest of your network.

10. MarkBadia

MarkBadia New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Yes, all the devices on my network have IP address of 10.0.x.y and the subnet is always 255.255.255.0 on all devices. I do have DHCP and am running an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router. I do get my updates over the net but when I say use DHCP it (TiVo Series II) does not expect a DNS but when I say use this static address it expects me to provide a DNS address.

11. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    When you provide a static address, you need to provide a DNS address. The DNS address should be the address of your Airport router.

Note that with the subnet mask that you specified, in you sample IP address, all of your x values must be the same in your network. If you specify a different value for x, that will put those devices on a different subnet and they will not be able to talk to devices on the other subnet.

12. MarkBadia

MarkBadia New Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Yes, that was a bad example everything on my net is 10.0.1.Y with the router being 10.0.1.1. So when it ask for a DNS I should enter the router address of 10.0.1.1?

13. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Yes, that should be the DNS for your network. The router is supposed to convert the DNS requests to the DNS addresses that the router has that are provided by your ISP.

14. my02awe

my02awe New Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Mark
    the 169 ip range is an auto allocate range - used when XP can't contact the DHCP server, but is seeing a voltage on the connection .. - check continuity through to your router.

are you using a seperate hub/switch?