TiVo iOS app - problems receiving/displaying captions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by IraF, Jun 13, 2019.

1. IraF

IraF Member

Jan 22, 2002
    I see some old threads about captions getting stuck *on* but this is the reverse, often can't get them to show up in the iOS app.

Generally this is happening with news shows which have a different kind of captioning - it's live captioning, and is always placed higher on the screen than "regular" captioning.

I haven't found a pattern. Sometimes it has seemed I might see captions when I stream from the TiVo to the app, but not on a downloaded copy of the same program. Other times, it has seemed the only problem is with news shows on the app, whether streamed or downloaded, and captions work properly on other shows. Sometimes captions may appear in the app mid-show (they appear throughout the show when viewed on the TIVo box). And at times, it seems that toggling the iOS Setting for Captions on and off a few times might jog the TiVo app into showing captions. I have not conducted a scientific evaluation though and I may just be observing inconsistent coincidences.

I've tried downloading at different qualities and don't think I've seen a difference.

Does anyone else have this problem, and moreover has anyone come up with a solution?

2. IraF

IraF Member

Jan 22, 2002
    A user replied to this (per my email notification) but I guess deleted his reply after that. He or she wrote "I think it's a known issue with PS downloads and garbled captions, It may be better with TS downloads." I'd name the user but they may have a good reason they decided to delete their response. But I wanted to ask - what is a PS download and what is a TS download?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It was a wrong reply so it was deleted as its not on the app, but rather for computer downloading.

So, disregard.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019