TiVo iOS app and iOS 11 public beta

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Steve, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve TiVowner since 1999

Apr 23, 2003
    White...

Advertisements

FYI, I downloaded the new public beta to my 2017 iPad and in-home streaming is no longer working. I tried deleting and re-installing the app, but no luck.

2. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Rancho...
    TiVo intentionally disables streaming on unrecognized versions of iOS. It's part of their attempt to prevent playback on jailbroken phones (where you might have software running to copy the decrypted streams).

3. Steve

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    Wasn’t the case with iOS 10, IIRC. I did run into that with iOS 9, tho.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'd just downgrade iOS to a released version.

Other than for some limited testing at work (I do work on an iOS app for a living), I would never upgrade any of my personal devices to any iOS betas. Heck, I don't install even released versions the day they come out. I wait a few days for reports in the press of major probs (if any) and then install on my least critical/least frequently used device (iPad Retina mini) then the next one (iPad Air) then my personal iPhone (6) last.

rlcarr likes this.
  5. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Rancho...

Advertisements

I think I remember running into it on the betas for both iOS 10 and iOS 9.

I'm using iOS 11 beta on my iPad Pro because it's pretty stable and has major improvements on iPad.

I was using it on my iPhone, too, but CarPlay is pretty broken and I'm going on a big road trip next week, so I downgraded to 10.3.3 beta until after I get home. Getting TiVo streaming back is a nice bonus. :)

6. Jul 1, 2017 #6 of 22
    bodosom

bodosom Just another tivotee

Apr 28, 2002
    Niagara...
    I was running 10.3.3 on an iPad until yesterday and streaming worked just fine. I hope this is just a glitch since iOS 11 is in public beta.

Of course the idea that they don't want people testing tivo.app seems odd.

7. Jul 2, 2017 #7 of 22
    tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Rancho...
    It's not that they don't want people testing it. They don't want people running it on jailbroken devices. (Because then people could get at the unencrypted video, which would likely violate their cablelabs license.)

A major iOS update changes enough stuff that the TiVo app can't recognize it as a legitimate copy of iOS. So it assumes the device is jailbroken and refuses to stream/download video.

10.3.3 beta is a minor update that doesn't trigger the TiVo app's paranoia.

8. Jul 2, 2017 #8 of 22
    idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    This is not a 'new problem', in fact, it is not a problem. Tivo has never supported beta releases of iOS. Prior to iOS 11 going GA, Tivo will update their streaming app.

The rule is simple, if you want to use the Tivo streaming app, don't install beta releases of iOS.

9. Jul 4, 2017 #9 of 22
    steviet

steviet New Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Purposely crippling it when it's not necessary seems strange to me. Supporting it is a different story, they don't need to take action on support calls for it. Jail breaking is basically done with and is dying for good with all the holes they've filled.

But even still, adding a max os version to the myriad of information they download from their servers when they launch wouldn't be a big effort or deal and might help them in the long run with testing the new beta in the field without actually supporting it.

10. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    i summited feedback before i found this thread
    The new iPad 10.5 with out iOS 11 is kind of a let down because the good stuff is
    disable on iOS 10.xxx

11. mrschimpf

mrschimpf Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I expect it for the pre-gold versions of each new iOS, but from a year's experience running betas of 10 I've little to no problem running the TiVo app on the beta channel.

12. mskovrinskie

mskovrinskie New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    PA
    The TiVo app was updated this week and iOS 11 public beta 2 is now out. Has anyone tried streaming with this updated combo to see if it works again?

13. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    It doesn't.

14. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I can't stream under iOS 10 on LTE with the new update. Anyone seeing similar?

15. Mgalin

Mgalin Member

Jan 6, 2002
    I got burned by this too, except i didn't do it on my phone, just the iPad i use for travel. Tivo's stance has been, if they don't make every attempt to disable jailbroken phones, they'll piss CableLabs off, with the worry of content being taken off the device. I'm a dev, earlier in the thread is right, i ran dev versions of 10.3.x, and the Tivo app worked fine. I don't think this is a case of the worry about jailbroken - probably simply their development lifecycle isn't agile enough to deal with the 'next' version number, and they have never been very fast to update their code checking for new major versions.. Minor versions seem irrelevant. If Tivo is reading this, please fix it.. IOS 11 is in public beta now, no reason not to support it.. Beta doesn't equate to jailbroken.. but this will likely go on deaf ears.

16. zubinh

zubinh Active Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I never understood the desire to be among the first to get new software or hardware when it is largely untested and prone to hiccups and then complain about it. Is waiting really that difficult for some people?

cwerdna likes this.
  17. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    What are the odds...I've never understood why people who are not running the ios beta would post in this thread.

The ios 11 public beta is not largely untested nor prone to hiccups. Tivo has never supported beta versions of ios and, I agree, complaining about this is pointless.

If you want to run beta ios software, the price is the Tivo app will not work. This is not a bug. Tivo will release a version that runs with ios 11 closer to when ios 11 is generally available. That's life and real simple concept.

tim1724 likes this.
  18. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Dreaming of using PC vice Apple products with TiVo.

19. Steve

Apr 23, 2003
    White...
    Were you ever able to stream under LTE? I have to download and then start playback to stream without wifi on my iPhone.

Or if using an LTE iPad, tether it to your iPhone, to use wifi instead.

20. woodstocknick

woodstocknick New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Streaming works as of latest Tivo app update.

timdugan likes this.