Tivo interface to amazon/netflix is horrible

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by davestercrombie, Jul 28, 2010.

1. davestercrombie

davestercrombie New Member

Jul 27, 2010

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me if they figured out how to do this.

Okay so I have my new TiVo premiere xl. Im have it linked to my amazon and netflix account.

So when I go to find tv shows I can pick a category and a bunch show up. That all works great. So let's say in this example I pick southland. I see in the corner I see it has the amazon logo. But no where does it let me buy the entire season. I can scroll down and click each episode and they have a price of 2.99. But that is useless. Online u can buy the entire season on amazon on demand. Why can't I buy the season right from my TiVo interface?

Honestly this TiVo interface with Netflix and amazon is horrible. My roku I spent 70 bucks blows it away. The new netflix interface allows you to scroll through every movie type and gas a search option. The amazon interface allows u to view your entire library as well as so many other search features. I can't believe the TiVo is so horrible in comparison. I thought thought I was going to be blown away when I bought this 499 box with a 399 subscription.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The Netflix interface on the Premiere is still the old UI. It is one of the sections that hasn't been updated yet.

I don't buy any Amazon shows so I couldn't tell you about buying seasons via TiVo.

3. drewdog

drewdog Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Best way to buy amazon is on Amazon.com and send it to the box. Otherwise, you've go to search for it under 'find shows'

4. davestercrombie

Jul 27, 2010
    I know the find shows on the TiVo. Yes it can find lost, southpark, bones, ect ect on amazon but u can't buy the season from the TiVo interface. The search is useless. It only let's u buy single episodes not a entire season.

U can go to amazon.com and but the entire episode. Besides that it is useless to do on amazon. If u buy a season if bones u have to click each episode and tell it to send to the TiVo. What a waste if a process. U ever see a roku. For 70 bucks for the hardware u can search all if netflix on a kick ass interface and STREAM from amazon. For a person like me who has 50
    Movies in my amazon library and 10
    Tv seasons the little roku blows my expensive TiVo out of the water.

5. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR

Advertisements

You bought a TiVo for all the wrong reasons! Send it back, get your refund and go have fun with your Roku.

6. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    You had to create to threads just to complain. Wow!

Edit: two threads :)

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Or he's a shill for Roku...

:rolleyes:

8. davestercrombie

Jul 27, 2010
    Truetrobo did u even check out the marketing page for the new TiVo?

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere/index.html

The headline is TiVo more then just a DVR.

Okay. So how is it more?

Under the statement "make any night movie night" it goes on to say how you can access amazon, netflix, and blockbuster.

The netflix interface is sub par at best and the amazon interface is just awful.

The way this thing is being marketed promotes the ability to access online content. Not just be a dvr.

If u bought the new TiVo to be just a dvr then you bought the wrong product. (according to the way it is being marketed)

9. TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I've owned TiVos since the day they were first released. I know it's the best DVR on the market, with frills. The applications are the 'frills'. Sorry that you fell for the marketing blurb without doing further research. Chances are, the applications will get better over time. As they are, they are not the best, but they are perfectly serviceable.

Again, if you bought a TiVo Premiere for it's subsidiary applications, you bought the wrong product, in the same way if you bought a TV, DVD Player or BluRay Player solely for the network apps they may provide.

Seriously though, if you have just bought the TiVo and you can't live with the applications as they are now, send it back and get a refund. Wait until TiVo have released better apps and try again later.

10. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I think guy is just spamming this forum. Look at his join date.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you think - what a blatant trail of threads. We should try and rent some smarter trolls so it is at least interesting

12. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    This one hasn't mentioned a class action suit yet.

13. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    Even if he is a company shill (I doubt it because he acknowledges that the Tivo is a good DVR), everyone agrees that the Amazon & Netflix applications leave something to be desired.

Are there any other NF boxes that can't browse through movies? True, you can search with the Tivo, but you can't browse. You can browse on the PS3, Xbox360, Wii, Roku, etc.. why not the Tivo? It annoys me that the Tivo does a good job with the searching function, but not the browsing function.

14. davestercrombie

Jul 27, 2010
    No I'm not spamming. I bought the TiVo premiere thinking I would get a kick ass dvr and at least be better then my roku at interfacing with amazon and netflix.

See I never had s TiVo. So I had no idea how the amazon interface was. I own prob 50 or 60 movies on amazon and a dozen tv DVD sets like lost, 24.

Comcast started raising rates on the hd box do I figured I would look at TiVo.

Like I said it's a great dvr but the final selling point was I could watch amazon and netflix in the living room instead of my bedroom.

15. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Link your TiVo account with your Amazon account, go to Amazon's "Your Video Library", select a show/movie you want to watch on your TiVo, Select download.
    Done.

16. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Can your roku record programs. My Netflix and Amazon does just fine the way it is.

17. davestercrombie

Jul 27, 2010
    You totally misunderstood my what I was trying to say.

I like the TiVo. I just think the netflix and amazon interface is awful. I was remarking how advanced my roku interface was to them.

18. davestercrombie

Jul 27, 2010
    Do u own any DVD box sets through amazon video on demand? Trying to move 5 seasons if lost on my TiVo is a long intense task the way it is right now. Log in to amazon pick the season click each episode tell it to download. With the roku 3 clicks and your streaming. I don't know how other amazon players are but I doubt they are as labor intensive to play my DVD box sets from amazon.

19. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I'm not disagreeing about the Amazon interface on the TiVo, but you are wrong about this. If you purchase multiple episodes at the same time on the web site, it will give you the option to watch now, later or download. If you choose download and where to download it to, it will download all the episodes you just bought. You only have to select individual episodes if you don't choose download at this step.

I know it works, because I've done it before.

20. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Just started using the Amazon channel on Roku and realized just how sucky TiVo's amazon interface is. First, on the TiVo if you buy a show you can only have it on one of the your TiVo's, yet on the Roku it is viewable on them all. There is also no easy way to pull a show down onto your TiVo that you've previously purchased. Would it be so hard to have a library option in the Amazon section? :(