TiVo Interactive Commercials - anyone remember these?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Larsenv, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Larsenv

Larsenv Active Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas

Advertisements

Does anyone remember on select commercials, TiVo let you press the Thumbs Up button to view an interactive advertisement about products? I was trying to find if anyone made a video on it, but I couldn't find anything. (Anyone can help?)

I remember it played a jingle (which I want to hear again) when going to view the ad and when going back to Live TV. Apparently they said "Let's go!" and "We're back!". I extracted the images from a TiVo Premiere restore image using File Juicer on macOS.

I think I remember ordering a coupon for toilet paper with our TiVo, lol. People might have found this tactic to view ads annoying, but honestly it seems to be a pretty cool idea.

Here are the images:

0EB5FA6B-CF3A-4E1F-96E6-FD280E6F71E0.png BA127219-7B79-483E-A2F8-494F669AFF2A.png 35DC45E4-ECA4-4355-9672-09EB55AD3E32.png BFE36187-3187-43D7-9E80-60046D3B9F83.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    jfalkingham and ufo4sale like this.
  2. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I don't remember those, but I remember something similar, where when a commercial played, usually for a TV series, you could hit thumbs up to auto-schedule a recording for it. I remember using it a couple of times on shows I was interested in watching.

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Yah, the first two images appear to be high res versions of the original Tivomatic/iPreview system. They look significantly sharper than I remember seeing on my old SD units, so maybe they spiffed up the images when the HD UI came out. They worked pretty well, but only on a very small number of shows, and only when not skipping commercials. As such, you'd be lucky if you saw it a couple times a month when active.

The second two images sort-of ring a bell during from a time where they experimented with being able to take you somewhere else during commercials, and then back automatically - which never really worked right. I really don't recognize those images as being part of the experience, so I again suspect they're HD versions of what we saw on SD boxes, which was so long ago, used so infrequently, and for such a short time, that the full flow just isn't coming back to me. There were full screen overlay ads at one point. There were pause screen gold star ads at one point. There was the ability to order a Pizza at one point. But those brain cells have long since been migrated to tape.

Larsenv likes this.
  4. Larsenv

Larsenv Active Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    I think the latter 2 images were used starting on TE3. Before that, they used a different design with that clock icon.

FEA70921-8877-42E4-9747-98D78F5CCC49.png

And I wish you could still order Domino's Pizza through the TiVo. Our family ate Papa John's at the time they had the service, now Domino's is my personal favorite, so I'd love to experience that novelty...

Perhaps it could be possible to order a pizza using EnterWebz.tv?

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD

Advertisements

Flexing all my googling skills (well, for 5 minutes really), I was only able to find the following:

Thumbs Up for iPreview/TiVoMatic | TiVo and DIY Network Programming | InformIT

upload_2021-3-20_1-11-58.png

from 2004. I think the majority of what you're looking for is probably lost in the now offlined TCF archives.

6. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Gilbert Arizona
    So many things TiVo should have done but didn't or tried but failed. I will miss you when you're gone.:(

When I get my cash settlement from my reality show, that I'm suing, then I will buy my favorite product/service and bring joy to all the girls and boys as it did to me growing up.:)

7. Larsenv

Larsenv Active Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    Huh? Miss who/what?

8. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Gilbert Arizona
    I meant TiVo the mascot not you personally.

9. chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought you meant TiVo itself, which would be more on the mark.:rolleyes:

10. Larsenv

Larsenv Active Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    Same here. And TiVo has a new look for its mascot. They finally gave it some more life.

upload_2021-3-20_10-5-28.gif

(Get the Giphy keyboard app for phones, then search TiVo and go to stickers to find these.)