TiVo Instant Replay function on a Blu-ray player?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by oregonman, May 27, 2011.

1. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    I tried searching for this, but only found a few old DVD threads.

What Blu-ray players have an instant replay feature (skip back a few seconds with a single button press) similar to Tivo's? I use this all the time on Tivo when I miss a bit of dialog and I hate not having it on my DVD player, so I'd like to make sure that I get a Blu-ray player that has this feature. Thanks.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is not an answer, because it's not a Blu-Ray player.. but my XS32 hard drive/DVD recorder DOES have this function, and I use it all the time (on both DVD and hard drive recordings).

3. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, this is one TiVo feature I miss on *every* other player. You'd think something so simple would be put in everything.

It's as if no one sees the use of being able to replay the last few seconds of what they're currently watching. I can tell you the instant replay is one of the most used buttons.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I even look to use it on my car radio at times only to be disappointed.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    May I suggest transfering your blu ray movies to your tivo and watching them from tivo to use this feature and others?

If interested, head over to the home media forum and read about pytivo.

We use our tivo as a whole house, all media device. ALL video, music, photos etc go through tivo for a single consistant user interface and central access.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My older Sony BDP-S350 has that feature (as did the Sony DVD player we had before that). I don't see it on the remotes of the current Sony models though.

Scott

7. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    Thank you all for your responses.

jrm01: I wish it was on my car radio too - in fact, I want full Tivo scheduling and recording on my car radio, but I don't think that is ever going to happen.

jcthorne: I have transferred programs to my Tivo if i am going to watch them multiple times, but I find it to be too much work for something I am going to watch once. Plus I either lose quality or use up too much space on the Tivo.

There must be some Blu-ray players out there that do this. I've tried searching google, but when I end up getting a lot of false hits on my search terms - when I drill down on the hits, I either find discontinued products or products that really don't have the feature.

8. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    OK, so I did some more googling and found out that at least some (maybe all?) Sony models say they do this. So far I've looked at manuals for the BDP-S370 and BDP-S570 and according to the manual, they offer a 10 second skip back/instant replay feature. So I guess I'll concentrate on the Sony models in my search for a DVD player.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unfortunately, Sony's current models (BDP-S380, BDP-S480, BDP-S580, etc) don't seem to have this feature anymore as I mentioned above.

Scott

10. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
  11. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    Yeah, my old Sony DVD player had it too. It was crap at playing DVDs (the smallest smudge on the disc and it would freak out) but that one feature almost made it worth it.

12. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Some DVD players have this function, but I've not heard of any BP's with it.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I can skip back five seconds(with each back button press) when playing my BD ISOs on my Boxee Box.

And best of all there are no discs involved. I select the title from the coverart and it starts playing shortly after. No messing with the hundreds of my physical BDs when I want to find something to watch.

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    As mentioned above, my Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray player has this feature. However, skipping back has a slight delay - maybe a couple seconds, much slower than my Tivos. However, the Sony will allow you to skip back more than :10s. Hit the button once, 10s back, hit twice, it goes another 10s back, keep hitting it and it goes back in 10s increments. No matter how far back you skip, you just have to suffer through one delay. There is also a skip forward that goes in 15s increments.

I too love this feature for when I miss a few seconds of dialog.

15. takeshi

takeshi Member

Jul 22, 2010
    There are countless features that people would make this statement for. It's "so simple" for you and others like you. I've never had any need or desire for such a button. Don't assume that your preferences are universal even if you have people on this forum agreeing with you.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Who has the patent for a skip back function like TiVo. Maybe no one wants to pay for the ability to use it?

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    This, I have not bothered with Blu-ray yet but I rip all DVDs to my PC and watch them via TiVo so I get the great trick play and also so no stupid smudge slows everything down right at a critical part of the movie

PS - the skip back is part of TiVo IP, I think. it ties into the parsing of the video to add in the time marks to make everything play correctly

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    it's been years since i didn't have a sat radio built into my car- but before that I had a sirius S50 and then stilletto. They are portable units that need to be in a car dock or home dock. But both allowed you to schedule (a la VCR timers) recordings and then play them back. Also many satellite car radios have some form of instant rewind to catch something you miss- i think the sirius ones buffer something like 44 minutes or something. (but they dont buffer when the car is off)

I wish there was a "full tivo" version though for sure.

19. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    The fast-forward, rewind, and skipping are the main reasons I ever even bought a TiVo way back in 2000.

TiVo has these particular features down to an art, and no one has replicated the smoothness in their behavior on any other device I've had.

In particular, when fast-forwarding (or rewinding), the automatic moving back to compensate for human reflex timing is just near-perfection. I can imagine that this took a ton of study by the original TiVo engineers to work out the timing on.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Except that I give you an example in the post right before yours of an example of another player(/recorder) that has it!