Tivo installer near Albany NY?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Expidia, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015

Advertisements

I've used Tivo 6 years now and I'm pretty much knowledgeable with its installation. But over the past few weeks my 4 minis will no longer find my living room Romeo Pro.
    Tivo's customer service has really dropped off and I've spent hours and hours over the past two weeks with their C/S with no resolution. I'm thinking of having a professional installer come over and see what my issue is. It would be worth it rather than waste hours of my time trying to understand their reps from the Philippines that can hardly speak english.
    Or I'm to the point of just buying an antenna on Amazon for like $60 and I'll install it myself in my attic and sell all my Tivo equipment on Facebook. I installed an antenna in my Daughter's attic who lives 3 miles away and she gets 42 OTA stations and many are in HD and crystal clear (even clearer than the Spectrum signal). So I took her equipment back and installed her Romeo Plus in the system with a new card and paired a new TA and same issue minis can't find the Romeo.
    If someone here can help me with this issue I can tell you what I have ruled out so far. But a professional Tivo installer would be great if anyone knows one near me?
    Thx

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Today, C/s rep said to reset a mini to default, wait an hour then try to connect. Nothing. Same thing for 3 weeks now. Just loops back to the connect to network screen and no other buttons will get me out. Ends with if you have not activated yet call them . . . Romeo in living room works fine!

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    How are the Minis connected to the Roamio? If it’s MoCA, do you have a POE filter coming in to the house if you are not on FIOS? Lots of questions, need more info on how it’s all connected together.

In regards to your daughter, if she has coax in her house with the antenna still connected and MoCA running also, it won’t work if all on the same lines. That could be her problem.

4. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Does the Roamio and all the minis show up as activated in the same Tivo account? I had a probalem a few weeks ago. Even though it showed activated they had to do something in their system to correct it. While he was at it he said he was making some changes to all my devices and now everything is working. I have everything connected with Ethernet.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Sounds more like that was a value choice to shift her over to an OTA setup, with some of the now unneeded CableCARD-only TiVo gear being repurposed to the parental home.

A Roamio Plus could only have functioned as storage or for mobile streaming in the OTA setup, *if* TiVo gear was even in use.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    If some of the members would be willing to try and isolate my issue with the mini's that would be great and really appreciated.

Background, first I'll explain my Daughter's situation as to why I took back her equipment (Romeo Plus, not lifetime) later as it does not have any bearing on my situation. When she moved into her new house a few years ago I gave her my Romeo Plus and bought her two mini's and installed her system for her. A few months ago she got tired of paying for Spectrum cable plus the internet fee and she was only getting something like 50 Mbs. So when FIOS came to her area, she cut the cable and I installed and antenna in her attic. She now has FIOS internet for $50 a month and it's 200 Mbs. So I took the Tivo equipment back. The only reason I mentioned her equipment was to further help isolate my issue after Tivo c/s could not fix my issue I took my Romeo Pro (Lifetime) out of the system and installed the Romeo plus to see if the minis would connect to this Tivo. If they did then I would know there was an issue with mu Romeo Pro and I would send it into Tivo for repair. Her Romeo plus had a cable card in it. Cable cards have to be matched to their own TA adapter so Spectrum overnighted me a new TA and I called them and they paired it to the card. The Romeo Plus in my living room worked fine. But still all 4 Minis would not find it. Tivo c/s said its an issue with my network and I should have Spectrum come out and test my signal. I called Spectrum and they said they are seeing dropped packets over the past week. Guy came out and changed the splitter outside and took off my POE mocha filter (of course because they no nothing about Tivo). He said the Mocha filters go bad. then he went on top of the pole and checked the signal. He said it was OK and said if the drops continue since I'm the last house on the pole line he has seen the parts high up deteriorate and they would need to send a bucket truck out to replace those parts. Either way, signal is good but Mini's still won't find the living room Romeo Plus and then I took the Plus out of the system and put my Romeo Pro back in. Mini's can't find Living room.
    Let me take a step back. This issue all started when my Knotty pine room (a third bedroom) mini appeared to have went bad as it was just looping with the Tivo guy pic. This has happened before with another one or two and Tivo send send me another replacement which are now the square ones. I had to wait a month for the replacement as they were back ordered. When I installed the new one its shows activated on their end but it runs through the network connection process and then just loops back to "if you have not activiated . . . screen.
    Then they sent me another one. Same thing and while I waited for the replacement the other 3 started disconnecting from the Romeo. Yesterday I ran an ethernet cable from the router to a mini and also ran a coax cable from the entry point to the splitter to rule out a bad cable. No difference. I also changed the splitter that splits off to the Romeo and then to the other two rooms that have the mini's. In 2019 Spectrum came out for signal drops and ran a new line from the street to my house and took off most of my Holland 2100 splitters and put their own on. I was going to swap mine back but the system has been running fine with theirs so I left them on. The splitter they put on just before the Romeo is 1 5-1000 and 2.8db on one leg and 6 db on the other (would this make a difference?) I don't know which db went to the Romeo but yesterday I swapped that one out for a 5-1002 -130 db RFI with -3.5db on both sides. Still no mini connection.
    So thats my story and I'm sticking to it :eek:)
    What say you?

. 1 Yes, I have a POE filter (Holland MPOE-TM)in Spectrums outside box.
    I also have the same filter going into the coax input on the TA. Removing both mini's still won't connect so I put them back on and the outside box is a brand new one now.

.2 all connected by Moca. Using ethernet made no difference.

. 3 system has been running fine past two years with the Spectrum 1000 splitters. I can re-tweak the splitters later back to my 2100 Hollands, but for now they should not be causing my mini no connect issue.

Attached Files:

7. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Yes, Tivo checked that. All are activated on the same account. All are reading the same IP address.

8. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Not my problem which way she wanted to go. I'll just resell her Tivo equipment on FB. I would have even bought and installed an over the air Tivo but they don't care as they don't watch much TV. They have 3 little kids so they use Netflix and Youtube and don't care about regular TV. They get like 42 stations with the $60 Weingarten antenna I installed in their attic. I used to install antennas with my Dad 50 years ago. His 2nd job was tv repair and antenna installations. Amazing its the same antenna and hardware as it was 50 years ago. Now they just add these cheapo chinese little amplifier boxes. Same brands too like Channel master etc. Tivo is out of stock on their OTA Tivo's. Bit they said I can still buy one from channel master (they have lifetime also). I might go that route when FIOS get here and get rid of my $130 a month Spectrum bill.

9. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    These are the splitters I was using 2 years ago and then Spectrum changed them to their own. System was working fine with theirs so I left them in place.

Attached Files:

10. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    This is the splitter that feeds from the living room Romeo to my other 3 Minis. Master bedroom (upstairs), Knotty pine room, Exercise room. I think the reason I never swapped the Spectrum splitters back to the 2100 Hollands again is because I had a bag of the Hollands that they took off and I used them when I installed the Tivo system at my daughters house several years ago. The kitchen mini is fed from the splitter at the Spectrum box outside the house. It goes directly to the kitchen mini. This is why I doubt that its a wiring issue as the kitchen is on a separate feed from the others and it still won't connect. Worse yet, once they had me reset a mini to default settings then it goes into the set up connecting to service loop and I can't stop it from looping. Only choice I have is to re-boot the mini and then it only goes back into the loop again.

Attached Files:

11. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I'm pretty sure TiVo CS would've asked this already, but is the host (the Roamio) and the mini clients all on the same TiVo account?

Might be worth making a new account and moving the desired equipment over to it.

Expidia likes this.
  12. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Already asked and answered.

13. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I should've been more clear, I was thinking of this part of the question post #4 "Even though it showed activated they had to do something in their system to correct it. "

I had to go through a similar process - moved a lifetime Premiere into my account, later on moved a Mini in from a different account to mine, but they both still refused to "see" each other (MAK mismatch). Had to have CS move them out and back in again to resync everything. But that was back when CS was actually decent, lol.

Expidia likes this.
  14. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Yes, they are all on the same account. But moving all to a new account might be worth a try as my guess is it is something on their end causing the issue.

15. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Yes, their c/s is awful now from what I experienced with them years ago. They won't have a 2nd level of support call you back. They escalate the issue and like 4 days later they email their answer to seems like every issue is to unplug the mini and go to your Romeo and connect to the network twice. Then plug in the mini and you should be OK.

16. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    I'm online with C/S now trying to have them move all equipment to a new account.

17. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Issue solved . . . after a 2 week run around with Tivo c/s.
    Thanks lhvetinari . . I think creating a new account and transferring my equipment was a big factor in the resolution. There were a few errors on their end as to which mini's were on the account correctly. By setting up a new account and after rebooting the mini's still would not connect to the Romeo . . . but then this last rep said she did something on her end which is not something I have access to. She said she enabled "the video process" on her end. Rebooted each mini and all are now working again. It's really too bad they don't offer 2nd level of support. This would have saved me from two weeks of aggravation.
    This forum and its contributors are still the best source for Tivo trouble shooting. Thx to all who responded.

jcondon, dianebrat and JoeKustra like this.
  18. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Glad to hear you were tenacious and got it resolved. I suspected it might be something on their end as that's how I got mine back up and running a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have to switch to a new account but they did change settings for all my mini's while I was on the line.

Expidia likes this.
  19. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Thanks brobin. Their c/s has really deteriorated. It’s like another post said it’s playing c/s roulette. They totally wasted my time for 2 weeks and I probably went through 10 of them and the issue was on their end. I don’t know how they stay in business?

This is what happens when a company gets dumped to someone else. The buyer cuts corners on service to make up for some of what they probably overpaid for Tivo: "TiVo itself was acquired by Rovi Corp. for $1.1 billion in 2016, and the combined entity kept the name TiVo.Mar 1, 2019".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020