TiVo in the guest bedroom

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Islanti, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1 of 16
    Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX

Advertisements

I've been moving my TiVos around as I buy more Minis. I have an extra mini thanks to the recent woot sale for example. I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to have a mini linked to our main Roamio or one of my old Premiere XL (2 tuner) units in the guest bedroom.

I don't like the idea of a guest inadvertently deleting shows off our TiVo. The Premiere seems like overkill. Maybe I record a handful of HGTV shows in there though?

What have others done?

2. Mar 1, 2015 #2 of 16
    worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Mini is not compatible with 2 tuner Premiere's.

Compatible DVRs (4-tuners required)
    •TiVo Roamio and Roamio Plus or Pro
    •TiVo Premiere 4 and XL4/Elite
    •TiVo Roamio OTA

3. Mar 1, 2015 #3 of 16
    just4fn44

just4fn44 Member

Dec 28, 2006
    I thought it was compatible but would only show recorded shows.

4. Mar 1, 2015 #4 of 16
    Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX
    I have a Roamio Pro that will host the Mini. I'm trying to decide whether to put the mini or a Premiere in the guest room.

5. Mar 1, 2015 #5 of 16
    worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN

Advertisements

I have my Premiere in my Bedroom because of a 19-inch TV. I like the old SD menus because they use a larger font and is easier for me to see without my glasses.

6. Mar 1, 2015 #6 of 16
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I unplugged my 2-tuner Premiere when Minis were released. Mini is smaller, faster, noise free, consumes less energy, requires no CableCARD, etc.

7. Mar 1, 2015 #7 of 16
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The Premiere is compatible with the Mini. The mini just needs a box with more tuners than that for a host.

8. Mar 1, 2015 #8 of 16
    Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX
    Are folks are comfortable having guests access their main TiVo either via Mini or Premiere? Or does anyone move their guest TiVo to another account?

9. Mar 2, 2015 #9 of 16
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I think it must depend on your guests. I've never had this particular concern.

10. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    The only issue I could possibly see is if you have recorded content that you don't want your guests to see. If a guest happens to delete a show you want to keep, you just go into the Recently Deleted folder and recover it. If you have a guest that would delete it AND permanently delete it from that folder, you shouldn't have that guest in your house.

11. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    :up:

12. Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX
    I don't find stuff sticks around in "Recently Deleted" very long.

The concern is mostly guests with kids. Heck, even my wife accidentally ordered a year of Forbes magazine by holding the peanut remote upside down one time.

13. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Excuse me? Your wife ordered a year of Forbes magazines off a TiVo with an unintended click of the remote?

That concerns the hell out of me and I have to wonder how that is even possible. Did this take a single click, was it charged directly to the credit card on file with TiVo?

I have acually never seen something you could actually purchase via the TiVo menus (a few advertisments, but not direct buy). Was this in the showcase? I cannot remeber the last time I was in the showcase...

Actually, this is the kind of thing that would get me to drop TiVo in a heartbeat - direct buy purchases via TiVo (never seen them), with non conformation / PIN authorization for the charge.

Please help us understand...

14. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah, but I think they made it harder to do by accident. I was going to blog ordering Cosmo or some other magazine and there was NO confirmation as a I clicked. I shot a video of the process, but it was hosted on an Amazon service that no longer exists. This was February 2008. Looks like they also did Forbes and Esquire, but I think they got rid of the one click purchase and at least asked to confirm intent. However, other people could still do it from your TV. Wasn't linked to credit card, resulted in a snail mail invoice.

Then they had the Dominos app, but you had to configure it. That's gone.

Lately, it's just been click here to request more info or a Charmin coupon.

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, and even the Charmin ad has been a rarity lately...

So that was 6 or 7 years ago - within the S3 platform? I suppose that makes some sense, I guess - TiVo was doing a lot of ad testing about that time. I am glad to hear it hasn't been around for a long time - any purchase mechanism without PIN confirmation / lockout capabilities is unacceptable.

I am actually really happy that the advertising on the main TiVo screens has all but disappeared. I don't know if it is an issue of them not being able to sell advertisement or simply a decision to go in another direction - but it is very innocuous now. (to me, anyway)

I do not consider content specific information in the discovery bar to be advertisement.

16. Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX
    Yes, this was years ago. She was holding the remote upside down. When she saw "cancel" as the bottom option and hit down (which was up due the remote being upside down) and mashed OK. I believe there was a second screen but she did the same thing again.

As I recall it was 6 weeks free then the paid part kicked in. We just cancelled after the first issue showed up.

No harm really, but funny.