Tivo in India

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rdevakumar, Jul 30, 2007.

1. rdevakumar

rdevakumar New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Hi,

Whether TiVo (or any other DVRs) is available in India. If yes, please give me the details.

Also i would like to know, If i buy a TiVo in US, will that work in India (with the cable singnals in India and the power compatibility - 200 to 240 V)

regards
    deva

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    No. US Tivos will not work in India. Totally different video formats (PAL in India, NTSC in US).

You might ask this question in the UK Tivo Forum here because the video formats are the same.

3. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    TiVo is not supported in India. India uses the PAL television broadcast standard; the U.S. uses NTSC. A U.S. S2, S3 or HD TiVo will not work in India.

However one option would be to use a multi-system (PAL/NTSC) VCR as the tuner to feed the NTSC signal output to an old Series 1 U.S. TiVo to make manual recordings. Old U.S. Series 1 TiVo's used auto-switch 110v 60HZ/220v 50HZ power supplies so all you would need is a new “figure 8” power cable or a mains plug adapter.

Another option would be to use an old UK TiVo (Thomson, etc.) which would have a PAL tuner and run on 220v, 50HZ electricity. (All you would need then is a mains plug converter.) But again, all of your recordings would have to be set up manually. You might be able to find one for sale (eBay UK?). More info on UK TiVo’s can be found on this forum.

Rather than trying to deal with all of that you could do some research on Euro DVR’s such as the Inverto. Or you should be able to build a PC based PVR using a PAL tuner, etc. with parts you can pick up over the Internet or once you get there.

4. aravindreddy25

aravindreddy25 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Hi
    I bought a TiVo box from US. Is there any work around to connect the Box using any DTH like tata sky, airtel or reliance

thanks
    aravind

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    It depends on the U.S. TiVo "box" for starters. Regular U.S. TiVo's do not work with satellite. The one's that do would be NTSC and not PAL (see my post above). Post a few more details when you have time.

BTW, you get the award for reactivating the oldest thread this year...well, so far. ;)

6. aravindreddy25

aravindreddy25 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Rich

thanks for the reply
    I have gone thru your old post. can u please explain me the first option using VCR as the tuner to feed NTSC signal output.
    Reply me once you are free.

thanks
    aravind

7. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The trick is to find a multi-system VCR (they usually accept PAL/NTSC/SECAM signals) that is able to output an NTSC signal. They used to be fairly common on the Internet, but I'm not sure they are so easy to find anymore. Once you have one of those you can connect an antenna or cable to it (possibly satellite but I don't think that will work with most of them, if any), then connect the VCR to TiVo. In essence you'd be using the VCR as the tuner (somewhat like a set-top box) for TiVo.

Although you could set the VCR to record something so it's on the correct channel at a certain time and then set a manual recording on TiVo, it's mostly just a manual recording situation where you tune the VCR to the channel you want to record and then start TiVo recording. It's not very user friendly, but it can work in a pinch. It only worked with the original Series1 TiVo as far as I know.

As mentioned, another option is to hunt down a UK TiVo which has a PAL tuner, so no need for the VCR. Or TiVo is introducing boxes in Australia and New Zealand now...they would also have PAL tuners so if you really wanted something new that should work, you might be able to get one of those. Again, it would all be manual recordings, but at least it would be easier to set up.

Some folks used to swap out the U.S. TiVo's NTSC tuner with a PAL tuner, but that was a long time ago and I doubt many TiVo PAL tuners are left these days.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Would either the U.S., Australian or UK TiVos work without a channel lineup which can only be provided by whatever TiVo server exists in each country?

I don't believe it's possible for ANY TiVo to work anywhere but the country it's meant for without MAJOR hacking.

9. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The U.S. Series1 we have worked in NZ without a channel lineup. The VCR we had acted as the tuner. There was an active (but small) TiVo group in NZ that was actually creating a guide that could be accessed over the Internet if you had Airnet installed but we never took advantage. We just created manual recordings. I don't know if the group is doing anything new since TiVo's about to introduce their product.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work the same elsewhere though. However no one was able to get anything BUT a Series1 to work. Some folks replaced the U.S. NTSC tuner with a U.K. PAL tuner and did away with the VCR bit, but I wasn't up for that either. Others bought or brought in UK Series1's (Thomson I think they were).

So I can't say if one of the new AU or NZ TiVo's would work elsewhere. I suspect not, but you never know.