Tivo in continuous reboot loop

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tylivia, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tylivia

tylivia tylivia

Jun 7, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Good mourning I have a TIVO series 2 that had originally been loosing the audio, but a reboot usually fixed it until a few weeks ago when the sound completely went out.
    I have not been around allot this summer so I haven't played around with it much, but it has been off and unplugged for a couple of weeks, now when I plug it back in
    it starts booting up and gets to the orange tivo "almost there" screen for about 5 minutes then jumps back to the powering up screen again and it just keeps doing this. I talked to tivo support and they want me to send it in for $140.00 repair and said I would loose all my shows that I have on it.
    I would like to know if any one might know what the problem may be and a possible solution other than sending it in for repair.

2. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Its the classic symptom of a corrupted/defective hard drive. Solution is to get a replacement drive from weaknees.com or buy a drive and get instantcake software to format it for tivo and install the system files if you're up to that kind of thing.

From personal experience replacing a drive with a weaknees drive is a piece of cake - takes about 10 minutes and they have excellent instructions.'

3. tylivia

tylivia tylivia

Jun 7, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the reply Royk, I was thinking more on the lines of a system board problem, but I will give your suggestion a try.
    thanks again and I'll post my results when complete.

4. tylivia

tylivia tylivia

Jun 7, 2006
    Massachusetts
    RoyK,
    I have received my new drive from weekness and have installed it with no problem it comes up fine I reconfigured it, but my original problem with no sound is still there when I say there is no sound I mean no tivo sounds and no sounds from any of the channels I put on. I have checked the cables they are fine and they are connected correctly , it's not muted. Is there some way to diag the system board?
    or any other ideas to a possible cause?

Thanks!