Tivo in College Dorm

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chasealicious11, Sep 9, 2007.

1. chasealicious11

chasealicious11 New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Hey guys I have a series2 single tuner tivo, The phone signal is digital so i cant dial out and our interent uses some special login before we can use it (wired).. when I plug the tivo in I am unable to connect to the internet.. I know xbox live works with most games because they did something special... is there anything I can do to connect to the internet?

2. JTYoung1

JTYoung1 Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    Talk to the IT people and tell them what you are trying to do, maybe they can help you out.
    The only things I can think of are a router that does your login for you and using your computer as a router.

3. chasealicious11

Aug 8, 2005
    I have a macbook pro, is it possible to do it through that? Do I just need to buy a usb ethernet adapter? Is it possible to do it on Mac OS X or will i need to use parallels or Boot Camp?

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It seems that there are many frustrated college students running into this exact problem, and it's almost impossible to get routers approved nor unsupported devices on the networks.

The best solution is to start dating a local girl who has a proper phone connection and have brunch at her place every Saturday while your Tivo gets updates on her phone line.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you can connect through your computer. You might need a second network adapter.

6. chasealicious11

Aug 8, 2005
    would it work with a crossover cable so i dont need to buy a hub and 2 extra ethernet cables

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, crossover cable to second (or only, if outside connection is over wireless) ethernet adapter in.

8. kdeaton

kdeaton New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Not the best solution, but there are adapters to use analog phones on a digital phone system. I used to work tech support at a large company, and before notebook modems could take digital lines, we used to provide them to all the people with notebooks... usually after the boneheads would fry their modem. From what I remember, they were under 10 bucks, but you may have a time finding one, as all modems have that capability built-in now.

Good luck