tivo in canada

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by couille, Aug 16, 2009.

1. couille

couille New Member

Aug 16, 2009

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Im new to the community, i live in canada (prov of quebec) and been a tivo user for almost 2 years. Actually, we've got 2 tivo's in the house now.
    There's only 1 thing i dont like about the product and its probably not caused by the product itself but rather by the police of the airwaves in canada.(CRTC) When i first bought my tivo (from ebay) i was able to use some features such as Music Choice, and it lasted about 2 or 3 months. Now, nothing i can do about it. I'd like to have that service back, i'd like to use amazon unbox, or blockbuster videos.
    I'm not a geek, maybe it has to do with IP address, Proxy's or my postal code ?

Whatever the reason, can someone help me resolve that problem ?

Thanks.

Fran├žois

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Regarding the Amazon unbox and NetFlix, that is based on your IP address. If it is not a US address, you are blocked. Even people in Puerto Rico (a US territory) have trouble with NetFlix and Amazon rentals.

I'm not sure about the other stuff.

Good luck,
    robomeister

3. couille

couille New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Thanks Robomeister.

Then, if it is the problem with the IP address, is it possible to clone or fake this address for me (my computer and my tivo dvr and my router) to become a US citizen ???

Has any canadians (or other nationality) experienced the same problems and found a way to resolve it ?

Thanks again.

Fran├žois

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The CRTC isn't causing the issues you are experiencing, at least directly.

The issues are caused by the rights holders of content, whom for whatever reason do nor want to obtain Canadian rights for their content and services.

I know MC, at least once when I tried, was available when I experimented with setup for a US Zip Code and provider.