1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo in British C. Canada?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Derek P Doogan, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Derek P Doogan

Derek P Doogan New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    can I get Tivo online service
    for roamio plus with mcard?
    any cable providers?
    Can it be configured for OTA signals?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  2. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yes, you can get tivo service in Canada. No, no Canadian providers will supply an M-Card - in fact, none will activate any box they did not supply (so if you buy a used box, you have to make sure they originally supplied it). Yes, OTA will work fine.

A trick that might work is to buy and activate a box, then move the M-Card over. This is unsupported, but may work.

3. Derek P Doogan

Aug 25, 2018
    So do I run OTA feed in thru the coaxial cable input (Roamio Plus) and it will work? I’ll try that when the box shows up, thanks

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Roamio Plus (and Pro) are cable only.

5. Derek P Doogan

Aug 25, 2018
    Ouch, guess I bought a hood ornament

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. Davepl

Davepl Member

Aug 26, 2002
    OTA/Cable part aisde, if the account is in Seattle there's nothing to prevent the dish from working in Vancouver. Everything other than spot-beamed stuff will work in Regina too.

I helped a friend set one up in Vancouver 15 years ago at least, and we figured out it was just dialing into UUNET or similar in the US, so we figured out the local UUNET number in Vancouver, somehow set that in the TiVo dialup options (I forget how) and it worked for a decade or more...

I'm speaking only of the technical aspect, I don't know the TiVo rules or what agreements you've signed, etc...

8. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    TiVos can be activated in Canada just fine. It's something TiVo's supported for a long while (and why your TiVo asks if you are in Canada or US when it starts up). There is no issue with TiVo accounts in Canada. No need to use Seattle or anything - a Canadian address works just fine.

Problem is Canada has no regulations on CableCARDs, and no cable operator in Canada will activate third-party boxes. There is one that does offer TiVos, but other than that, you can't get a CableCARD from any operator in Canada. OTA will work, of course.