Tivo ignoring season pass (Top Gear)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jeff92k7, Aug 18, 2011.

1. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I have a season pass set up for Top gear on BBCA. It is set to only record new episodes. However, it won't record anything.

I happened to notice that the new season is starting on Monday on BBCA, so I checked the tivo to make sure it would record. It was not scheduled to record. I checked the season pass and confirmed that it does exist, and is set to record new shows. I checked and there were no conflicts during that time slot. Still...not recording.

I deleted the season pass and readded it. Again, it ignored the new episode coming on monday.

To get by, I manually set it to record that episode. I also checked the following week, and same thing. So I manually set it to record that episode too.

I seem to recall this happening last season too. All my season passes work fine, EXCEPT for Top Gear on BBCA. I had to manually add each episode. ..very annoying when that's why I'm paying to have a Tivo.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Additional info...

According to the guide, the new episodes ARE listed as new episodes. I also recall from last season, that if I change the season pass to all episodes, the new ones do record, but that really isn't an option since I may not watch the new episodes before they get overwritten by any of the 30 repeats that air each day.

Jeff

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Being a Brit show, the OAD was back in June so to the Tivo, it is not a new episode. Change your SP to pick up repeats and you should be ok.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Are you sure there are indeed upcoming, first run episodes scheduled in the guide?

Examples? (As in dates/episode names/original air dates)?

5. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    A new edisode is one that is within 28 days of its original air date that you haven't already recorded. End of definition. It makes no difference if there is an "R" in the description.

Check the OAD date on these shows, and I'm sure as Whiskeytango pointed out they are in the past.

I had the SAME issue when I was trying to record Friday NIght Lights off of NBC this past season. They had been previously shown on direct tv so the OAD threw the season pass off. I ended up haveing to set it for repeats.

6. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I'm not at home right now to double check, but looking at the guide of upcoming episodes in the ipad app, I see a big, bold "New" next to the episode title for Monday Aug/22/2011 at 8:00p CDT on channel 268 (BBCA). Same thing for the episode the following Monday night.

Monday's episode is listed as Sea 17, Ep 1. and original year is 2011. It does not list an OAD in the program description. If, however, I "explore" the show and review the entire episode list, it does show season 17, episode one as having an OAD of 06/25/11.

If, as you say, tivo goes off the OAD of the episode from any channel in the world, instead of what is the first time this episode has been available on my TV provider, then that's pretty stupid. Tivo should fix that. Heck, they have it listed in the guide as "new", so they know it hasn't aired on that channel before.

Jeff

7. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Additionally, changing it to record all episodes is not an acceptable solution, for the reasons I mentioned in my second post - I don't want tivo cycling the new episodes off once it records 5 or 10 repeats. I may not be able to watch the episodes before that happens. For example, there are 6 episodes scheduled to air Monday night after the new one. If I leave the SP set at 5 episodes, the new one will be deleted about 5 hours after it records. Changing the options to 10 episodes or 15, or all certainly won't work because then the tivo will fill up with old episodes I don't care about while deleting other shows to make room for them.

Not acceptable, tivo.

Jeff

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    There are no new episodes. They are all repeats...
    Do the episodes you want to watch air at the same time every week? You could set up a manual repeating recording to get them then. At least then you won't have as many other episodes.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Tivo doesn't use the iPad app for it's guide data.

I didn't see where anyone said to set the SP to record all episodes. Setting it to record new and repeats will get the eps you want. If it also wants to record other older eps that you don't want, you can check the upcoming episodes and cancel any recordings that you don't want.

Tivo is not at all responsible for the OAD listed with any program. Guide data ultimately comes from the source of the program.