Tivo if you are listening. Offer users GUI downgrade to old UI while preserving all shows/data

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by marcv, Jun 5, 2019.

Do you prefer the new Tivo Interface or the Classic One?

1. I prefer the new Tivo Interface

49.5%
  2. I prefer the original Classic Tivo Interface

50.5%
  1. Jun 5, 2019 #1 of 137
    marcv

marcv Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Ok Tivo. If you read these forums you can hear the disdain for the new user interface. I share this dislike for what the new interface has done to the Tivo experience. There were ways to add many of the new streaming and app features without abandoning the core interface that made Tivo loved by many.

The current path to downgrade a new or existing tivo is unacceptable. This should be a menu driven item on the interface to downgrade to Tivo "Classic" and also preserve ALL recordings, season passes, data, settings, etc.

Currently, I have many copy protected recordings that I cannot transfer to another tivo. Worse, I can't even transfer to another tivo without it failing mid transfer so my only recourse now is downgrading and losing all my saved tv shows and movies. Not really an acceptable option.

If you want Tivo to survive for years to come consider my suggestion. As a former user interface designer and programmer I simply cannot believe what you have done with the new interface as well as not giving users the option to revert easily and properly to the legacy (better) interface.

cwerdna likes this.
  2. Jun 5, 2019 #2 of 137
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Are we up to 10 threads like this yet? XenForo should have an award, just as they do for likes.

3. Jun 5, 2019 #3 of 137
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Marcv-
    Tivo will NEVER do this, they want and are herding everyone to new interface. The new interface is obviously for cable box users

Tivo has full disregard for their user base, and obviously have made the decision to go to new interface, damn to original features tivo users loved and be gone with the old interfaces.

Removing the thumbs in te4 is a final hit at old usage. They are on the remote! The use is so much better than their auto suggestions, but their are threads about that.

eman926 and marcv like this.
  4. Jun 5, 2019 #4 of 137
    marcv

marcv Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Very poor business decision. Time to short Tivo stock.

If Tivo stays on this path there is no advantage to using Tivo anymore. Might as well just use X1 from Comcast. Comcast charges about same for cable card as a full X1 box.

5. Jun 5, 2019 #5 of 137
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I think it would be technically difficult, but obviously not impossible to do...

Originally, they didn't have any regression path at all - what we have is something they seemed to hack together for us.

6. Jun 5, 2019 #6 of 137
    marcv

marcv Member

Dec 1, 2015
    As a former programmer, I believe just as they allowed the migration from original to new which was a certain process they could certainly do the reverse whereas they provide either a downgrade or "upgrade" path to the classic interface. We think of things as having to revert back or downgrade but depending on the code that could be the path of least resistance or possibly a major "upgrade" path to install (revert) to the classic. Without knowing their code it is not possible for me to determine which path is easier but technically either is possible.

The hack is apparent in that when you upgrade to the new interface your shows are saved but "downgrading" they are not.

As a consumer, this just isn't an acceptable solution at least for me and apparently many others. Ultimately people vote with their dollars and for the first time I'm bringing in an X1 box to try it out. The way I look at it is that it can't be any worse than the new Tivo interface. Whoever they hired for the GUI should be fired and a completely new, competent team hired. If they were smart they would hire the original design team to bring back the original interface and then add on the new features mostly outside the classic interface (apps, streaming, etc)

I've seen so many software products just blow it like this for the sake of change and progress. You need both of those but it is far too easy to do it wrong and change the secret sauce that made you great. So keep updating and improving but do it right.

7. Jun 5, 2019 #7 of 137
    pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Just because you don’t like how TiVo is changing their products, doesn’t mean that it is a poor business decision.

It may be, but your opinion doesn’t have any bearing on it.

aaronwt, CloudAtlas, jrtroo and 3 others like this.
  8. Jun 5, 2019 #8 of 137
    marcv

marcv Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Seems to be having some bearing...

I present the 3 year stock chart of Tivo, Inc

upload_2019-6-5_11-28-30.png

9. Jun 5, 2019 #9 of 137
    pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    You misunderstand what I wrote if you think that backs up your point.

aaronwt, compnurd, ClayKY and 2 others like this.
  10. Jun 5, 2019 #10 of 137
    Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I think the much more logical conclusion is their "problem" revolves around not "dumping" the old ways long ago and moving to a more modern/sleek platform which would be better embraced by mainstream consumers and easily ported to popular devices.

11. Jun 5, 2019 #11 of 137
    Willy92

Willy92 Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Los Angeles
    You can't downgrade your phone or tablet UI once you have
    upgraded, can you?

I've been a Tivo user since '99, and yes, it's been up/down, good/not so good. It's like anything else that they won't leave the same. It still suits my needs just fine.

What's the big deal?

eman926 likes this.
  12. Jun 5, 2019 #12 of 137
    marcv

marcv Member

Dec 1, 2015
    To each their own. Don't have to see by all the threads over the last year how generally disliked the new interface is.

Like you I have been a LONG time Tivo user. Have the Tivo ONE. Every single model after that. Own more units currently than 95% of tivo owners out there I'm sure.

Yes I did not argue above to leave everything the same but if you are going to add features and functionality it isn't necessary to destroy the user interface.

Your phone/tablet. Go back and look at the original iphone and android phones. Same exact interface. Apps arranged on a screen. Swiping. Pinching. Imagine a complete overhaul where they changed your interface to a scrolling text list of applications? The main theme of phone/tablet UI has not changed since Jobs announced the iPhone. There have been improvements but the overall GUI concept has remained the same. Exhibit A below

[​IMG]

13. Jun 5, 2019 #13 of 137
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Yes. This is my exact point

They have destroyed the interface and removed features
    Go to example of their docs and suggestion

It says for te3 and series 3. Do following...

Doesnt even really explain they pulled it out of te4

marcv likes this.
  14. Jun 5, 2019 #14 of 137
    marcv

marcv Member

Dec 1, 2015
    All you current Tivo interface fans. Here is one use case example of many of a completely meaningless set of steps to delete shows.

Let's say you have a folder with 20 shows and you want to delete 18 of these. In the old interface you simply hit the CLEAR button on each one. So say I wanted to kill the oldest 18 I would select the 3rd show down from the top and hit clear 18 times in a row. Done in 15 seconds.

Today's new and improved user interface takes minutes. Select the show. Hit clear. Hit the confirmation that I do want to delete it. Wait. Then do same on next one.

It's faster for me to connect to my upgraded Tivo from my other old Tivo using the original interface and just click to clear each one without the confirmation and wait.

So 15 seconds versus at least 2 to 3 minutes for a trivial task.

As a GUI programmer I would have user setting to either disable "confirm deletions" option or have checkboxes next to each show so you can multi-select and then mass delete. Perhaps an ABCD button to enter the multi-select mode.

I won't even get into the guide or other things as they have been blasted ad nauseum in these forums since the new software came out.

The only feature at this point that really puts Tivo above X1 from what I can tell is commercial skip but X1 has a Labs mode that seems to implement a form of this so that advantage may soon be gone too.

setx70 likes this.
  15. Jun 5, 2019 #15 of 137
    Willy92

Willy92 Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Maybe I'm not such a hardcore user, like you, but my wife uses it most of the time and does complain about it, but, she always did. She never reads instructions, she just pushes buttons. I don't have a problem with it, I just do what it takes. We're not teckies, either, we're closer to 70 than 60.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  16. Jun 5, 2019 #16 of 137
    Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    It is meaningless as I have used the new interface since the day it was released and never have had a reason to do such. :) If I did I would probably simply delete the folder and restore the two I wanted to keep.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    aaronwt and Willy92 like this.
  17. Jun 5, 2019 #17 of 137
    yesno

yesno Member

Jun 27, 2003
    Arizona
    It looks to me that Tivo is making the TE4 UI to work with Roku, Fire TV, ect, so the remotes have less buttons.

18. Jun 5, 2019 #18 of 137
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Wow. No way. X1 is a mess. No multiple buffers. No wishlists. Clumsy interface. Argue about the interface all you want but don’t make things up.

aaronwt, Willy92 and osu1991 like this.
  19. Jun 5, 2019 #19 of 137
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That’s funny since the buttons in TE4 are actually more granular rather than less. Look at the whining (yes, whining) about the back button versus the left button.

20. Jun 5, 2019 #20 of 137
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yes, I wish that a user could sidegrade from TE4 to TE3 without a loss of shows. Having said that, I'm also appreciative that TiVo allows this sidegrading at all.

marcv and CloudAtlas like this.