Tivo - Home Cinema advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by catlinsr_pvr, Aug 2, 2007.

1. catlinsr_pvr

catlinsr_pvr New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    I have had a UK tivo from new. It is unmodified, and I appreciate it as much as the day I unboxed it! I am thinking of buying a home cinema system with DVD recorder to replace a combi DVD/Video player and ancient audio amp and twin speakers.

This is new territory for me. Can anyone advise on anything I should look out for in selecting a home cinema system to work with Tivo (along side my Nokia freeview box and CRT tv)? I don't mean in terms of features, but in terms of tivo compatibility.

2. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    Almost any TV with an RGC Scart input will give you the best picture from your TiVo*. Some TVs can be fussy about the Teletext which TiVo sends, in which case you'll need to ring the customer services line and get an upgrade to fix the teletext bug. Such TVs are rare, though.

Make sure whatever TV you get has FreeView built in. This will allow you to watch one FreeView channel which TiVo is recording another.

If you're buying an amp, make sure it has space for analogue inputs (phono). You can plug your TiVo directly into the amp for superior sound quality. Or, you can get a TV which outputs whatever sound it gets via phono - that way, whatever is on your screen will come through the amp.

Also - buy everything in silver so they match ;-)

T

*Well, you can mod the TiVo to output SDI - but it's not for the faint hearted.

3. ruperte

ruperte New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Reading, UK
    If you've got a network card installed in your Tivo, then changing TiVo to use Mode 0 (720 x 576) as opposed to the default Mode 4 (544x576) for best mode recordings can make things look a lot clearer on a bigger screen.

It's not with out it's downsides, but have a read here --> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=286938