1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Help is Helpless Spectrum Help Is Helpless

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Wilzer, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Nov 7, 2018 #1 of 26
    Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Called TiVo support about upper level Spectrum channels not showing up and TiVo tech said cable card was not paired correctly. Called Spectrum and re-paired card, no result. Spectrum Help was helpless too, finally did Google and guess what, along with information on this forum, Spectrum had an information page, telling me I needed a tuning adapter. A poster on this forum said that tuning adapters have been used for 10 years. Called Spectrum tech, support again, and after, repeating "representative" like a broken record, maybe 25 times, got someone in tech support that said, of course, the tuner is part of the cable card install package and technician should have installed one originally. We will see when they come again in 2 days.

What is needed, maybe, we will see is: Cisco STA 1520 tuning adapter https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Cisco-STA1520-Tuning-Adapter-2135.pdf

2. Nov 7, 2018 #2 of 26
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Remember when I recommend you pick up everything you need from the local office? Braving the bad part of town for 10 minutes would have saved you a lot of time and trouble in the end. Take it from somebody who has done at least 20 cable card installs with Spectrum (Charter) over the years. Otherwise it's going to take forever as you have to rely on one clueless tech after another both on the phone and in the truck accidentally doing something correctly.

Also TA make needs to match card, so Moto card means Moto TA, but Cisco card means Cisco TA like you posted.

In any case, I can certainly empathize as I have been there many, many times. Good luck.

3. Nov 7, 2018 #3 of 26
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Heh, figured your uber expert technician that came as a result of the FCC complaint would have been on top of that.

How is your DVR networked (Ethernet, MoCA, wireless)?

4. Nov 7, 2018 #4 of 26
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes. Oh well, the first complaint worked so well, time for another one and then a super-uber technician will appear after a few days. Sorry if my attitude seems jaded but literally thousands of us have been reporting CableCARD and TA problems here for ten years or so. Apparently we never complained to the FCC or the issues would have been fixed long ago. :rolleyes:

Let me save @Wilzer a third FCC complaint with this tip: Hundreds of TA users have found it helpful to put their TA on a timer to do power-cycling every night or every week, to prevent the need to manually do this when they stop working. Mine (on Spectrum) typically goes a month or so without power-cycling so I just do it manually

Wilzer likes this.
  5. Nov 7, 2018 #5 of 26
    Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Tried the picking up at store, several times, Spectrum flat refuses to give cable card, HELL NO they say. They are trying to increase revenue with service calls and if customer gets so fruistrated they ditch TiVo and go with Spectrum box, Ca Ching $$

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have the same problem with Spectrum/Charter refusing to give me a cable card and TA at their office, insisting on a truck roll. I don’t think I had to pay for the truck rolls, but I may be mistaken. Fortunately, I now have all the cards and TAs I need now. So the last couple of years I’ve only had to call and get an existing card paired with new TiVos I’ve acquired.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    @Wilzer , are you having some problems with forum mechanics? Confusing that you quote something I said in a different thread in your post #5 here, which is out of context for this thread.

8. Pete716

Pete716 Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Buffalo, NY
    When I added video service with Spectrum, I did it at the store. The rep was trying to tell me that only legacy TWC customers could have cable cards not Spectrum customers. I explained to her that it is an FCC requirement that they offer them to all customers. She then tried to pull the send a tech out thing, I reminded her that the FCC requirement also requires a self install option for cable card and tuning adapter setups. She eventually "found the option" in her system. If they refused, I would have asked for their name and ID numbers so I could report it to the FCC.

9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Interesting line of "thought", so if I understand you correctly, filing FCC complaints is a waste of time. Just what percentage of those "thousands of us" who have been reporting cable card and TA issues, ever made complaints to the FCC? Of those who actually filed legitimate complaints what percentage received a positive response? Of those who had a legitimate complaint and did not file an FCC complaint what percentage received a positive response? And finally, what exactly is your better alternative?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not being a bit snarky here, are we? :rolleyes:

No I don't think filing FCC complaints is always a waste of time. Obviously it depends on what specific issue you are complaining about. As to better alternatives, I believe there have been many cases where help provided by other users on this forum, and help from cable operators (e.g., the TWC national CableCARD help desk, which may be gone now), have provided quicker and better help than the FCC complaint process would do, especially if forum members provide their location. I don't think @Wilzer did this but I apologize if I missed it in one of the many threads he has posted in about his issues.

I would be very interested in answers to the questions you pose and I think it's obvious we don't know the answers, and never will. I suspect you believe that the FCC would have fixed CableCARD/TA issues if only more of us had complained over the last ten years. I disagree. In fact it's been well known that the FCC was aware of major problems with CC/TA support for a long time. Here is just one example from 2009 (!):
    Is CableCard dead? FCC weighs alternatives. | ZDNet

11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Well, if the "TWC" national cablecard help desk, is still available great for Spectrum, but how about those folks on Comcast, Cox, Verizon Fios, Frontier Fios, Optimum, Mediacom, WOW, etc. and what about those folks who use(d) the TWC cablecard help desk and still did not get their issues resolved? (866) 532-2598 BTW
    I absolutely believe that you are more likely to get your cablecard/TA issues resolved if you file an FCC complaint and far, far quicker, than waiting for days, weeks, and sometimes months playing CSR and truck role roulette and usually results in contact from someone higher up in the company in a day or two.
    Thanks for the reference from that 2009 link, but it is pretty common knowledge that the cable companies have been fighting tooth and nail since the issue of private ownership of cable equipment was first proposed long before that. The cable companies have, IMO, been largely successful to cripple the private ownership efforts and hamper the implementation of cable cards at every turn, the external bastardized TA, was another successful effort. Just like every other relatively powerful lobbing group in America, they tend to get their way, and even when they consistently violate existing regulations, to the best of my knowledge, the FCC has never fined them or even censured them.
    And the fact that only a tiny percent of those who could file legitimate complaints actually do is a major reason for such neglect. Comments from consumers which tend to discourage filing legitimate complaints are really siding with the enemy and if I were a cable company executive...I would read each and every one with a broad smile on my face because it is confirmation that they are winning. They thank you greatly.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    Wilzer likes this.
  12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Oh I feel so demonized! :rolleyes:

I don't love cable cos but the attempt to force them to be friendly to CableCARD and TA's was predictably doomed from the beginning because (1) it's a major PITA to them, (2) is against their business model, and (3) there would never be enough enforcement resources. When you try to make water run uphill, even massive enforcement doesn't succeed -- witness our drug problems. The FCC would not have been able to do much better even if every person having a CC/TA issue had complained to them.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You seem to be confusing the intent of filing an FCC complaint to address a specific customer’s present problem with petitioning the FCC to take some wider action against MSOs to get their CableCARD operations in order.

All evidence suggests that an FCC complaint can spur a quick and effective response from an MSO to resolve an issue.

Teeps likes this.
  14. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The idea was not to demonize anyone, ignorance is it's own reward, but the fact is, you are actually providing aid and comfort to the cable company executives even if you don't want to acknowledge it. The very fact that the FCC took up this issue in the first place, demonstrates that consumers do have some influence, but the problem is that they remain unorganized vs the influence of the cable companies lobbyists and their financial support/bribes and the consumers little strength is being undermined by others who would/should ordinarily be their supporters is like putting poison in the milk even if you don't understand it's impact.

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Well you're just repeating the opinions you previously stated ... so I'll repeat one of mine: The FCC wouldn't have been able to do much better even if every person having CC/TA issues had complained to them. We have never comprised more than 1% or 2% of cable subscribers and I would guess (we can't know) only a small fraction of us have had issues bad enough to complain about.

BTW please stop this demonization rhetoric. (e.g., "ignorance is it's own reward", "providing aid and comfort to the cable company executives"). These are unworthy arguments.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

17. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Based on your failed understanding...LOL.

18. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Good point ... I plead guilty!
    Ummm.... not sure the posts on this forum constitute a comprehensive body of evidence .... but not worth arguing about. I agree that if you have a specific obvious issue and can't resolve it with a reasonable amount of effort with the cable co and TiVo, an FCC complaint is in order

fcfc2 likes this.
  19. Wilzer

Wilzer Member

Oct 31, 2018
    I will say this: a very small group of about 40 parents of handicapped children in North Carolina, realized that they paid taxes and that their children were not getting anything, they started an intense campaign, personally visited lawmakers and the equal opportunity education act was passed in NC that became the model for the federal equal opportunity education act.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Huh? Can you explain this post?