Tivo HDXL -> iMac with no commercials -- need step-by-step instructions (please)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Prepper, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Prepper

Prepper Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Colorado...
    I need to go to Philly to support my brother for a week and would like to take some shows off my Tivo Premier HDXL with me on my iPad. I'd like to keep them in HD format and remove the commercials. I have an iMac and both are on the same network and are wired with gigabit connections.

Can someone please tell me the best process for doing this, step-by-step as if I am a 5-year old (albeit with better toys:))? I have Toast and Handbrake and can get whatever else I need.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!

2. bp888

bp888 New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I do what you're trying to do all the time but I use a different set of software.

1. I use iTiVo to download the show using the "Decrypt" format (mpg).
    2. Then I use Turbo.264 HD (software + USB dongle) to convert the mpg to iPad format (mp4) and use the built-in editing tools to edit out commercials.
    3. Then obviously add the resulting mp4 file to iTunes and sync to iPad.

Step 2 is the trickier step. You could use Handbrake to do the mpg to mp4 conversion but I don't know if you could edit out the commercials. Plus it's much faster with Turbo.264 because of the dongle. You can buy Turbo.264 HD from Amazon. Good luck!