Tivo HDUI vs Directv UI

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jpcamaro70, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Since i'm still waiting for my tivo to come, got held up somewhere with fedex, argh!! I am obviously anxious to play with it and get rid of this 8300.

I understand, from reading here, that the new HDUI is slow. How does it compare to the directv HR2x UI, is it slower or on par with that?

I'm expecting it to be a lot slower than the 8300 because this thing has nothing to slow it down.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The new UI is significantly faster than the old in my experience.

3. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I got rid of my DirecTV HR22 because the UI was agonizingly slow and unresponsive. It might have been something on my end, but I traded it in for another and found the replacement to be the same.

The TiVo Premiere's HDUI is a little pokey, but tolerable IMO.

4. timatkn

timatkn New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I have a TIVO Premiere. My first and only TIVO. My parents have a Direct TV HD DVR so I have hands on experience with both.

I like the TIVO way better. I find it to be faster and more responsive. THe TIVO could be better, but it is a step up from other in my opinion.

T

5. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Thats music to my ears, all i want is something comparable to the directv hd dvr.

6. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    The new DirecTV HD GUI, which I've been beta testing for months, is pretty slick too. Faster than the old GUI, and looks a lot nicer. I think that they are just about to roll it out nationally...

7. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Great, you had to chime in with that. I'm still reeling from the loss of my directv and "thrust into cable" as unitron put it, and now you tell me it's getting even better. ARGH.

8. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA

9. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    That's great, looks nice and fast. I'm not sure i saw the one you posted because this computer is blocked from youtube (work) but i searched on youtube for this and yes, it looks awesome. Fast too, a lot faster than my old HR2x.

10. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    DirecTV is also testing out a new DVR model... The HR-34. It has the ability to record 5 things at a time... I can't wait to get one of these.

11. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I also searched for the tivo interface, that looks pretty slick as well, but looks a bit slow in places.

I see there is a recovery feature, which is something i've missed. and again the ui looks really slick, looks like it's easy to navigate. I didn't get to see the channel guide though, nobody posted that.

I just can't wait to get this over with, where is my damn tivo???

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    That is a marketing blurb, not an actual view of someone using it. It very well may be fast, but I certainly wouldn't base my opinion on a very carefully controlled marketing video.

13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Good points. But it's also worth mentioning this UI/experience is in the wild (and folks whose opinions I respect seem quite pleased with the result in their living room). The new DirecTV UI (and new box) excite me more than the what the first cut of this next DirecTV TiVo appears to offer.

14. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Through the years, after my first directivo failed, I was forced into the D and HR boxes. After not so long, I came to love them and the service provided by directv.

I'm sure that anything new from them i would love, as i loved my HR22, and even if that was a marketing video, i'm sure it has some resemblence, but alas I'm stuck with cable and hoping tivo will reduce my sorrow.

Unless I move.

15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yours are good points too. But I have also heard many people who are quite pleased with the Premiere's HDUI, when many others (myself included) find it unacceptable. Speed is in the eyes of the beholder :rolleyes:

16. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Is it the multimedia functions that are slow, or is it the standard everyday functions? ie guide, recorded shows?

17. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Yep, I also find the HDUI too slow. However, my Premiere is ultimately faster than my FiOS DVR as I have fewer menus to drill down into or online components to pull down to do things.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What does "a recovery feature" mean?

19. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I wa rather excited about DirecTV's new UI, especially considering how DirecTV used to be high-end, but having seen it it is dissappointing compared to Dish's HD UI currently on the 922, which is the new standard for all future boxes, especially the XiP's. The 922 guide is EXTREMELY fast and all commands are snappy, and the loading of DVR recordings with all the cover at is magic compared to my pokey and frustratingly slow Premiere: it makes me LOVE my S3 and HDXL so much more.

I really expected DirecTV to have a guide a lot more like Dish's beautiful and great eye candy channel logos, again, all at light speed, a hallmark of Dish boxes for 10 years now.

I think the problem was DirecTV going their own way with NDS, I think, instead of the 3rd parties, like Sony, who had UI's that made me droll back in the 1990's.

20. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    recovers deleted recordings.